Tuesday, February 19, 2013

To Kill A Mockingbird






Title: To Kill a Mockingbird
Author: Harper Lee
Pages: 376
Genre: Classic

The question for blog post 4 is: What are some of the themes being woven throughout the plot line of the novel? How does the author do this? Is it enjoyable to each of you?

 My thoughts are, that probably the most important theme of the story is racism. But in a way there are many different forms of racism. Some people will have racism towards different type of people. Others will have racism between different religions. Some people do not even know that they are being racist, by the way certain people talk or the actions they have towards other people. Just making a joke about another religion etc can be very offensive, it can be considered raciest. Another theme that it makes me think about is, being open, and not judging people until you meet them. Scout and Jem hear these stories about Boo Radley and they just expect him to be this crazy insane person. As they act out stories they have heard, or feel as if they can hear him inside probably playing with scissors. You should not judge someone that you don't really know. My mum agreed about what I though about the themes of the novel. She said that is one thing that she really enjoys in the book, the racism. She is not saying she likes it, but she is saying that with the racism woven into the story she can get a feeling of what black people went through during that time. I agree with my mum, to be black history is very interesting, I really like reading and learning about it.

Since I have already read the book I have decided to just pick a chapter from the book, so I picked chapter 9. The main part of chapter 9 is that it is Christmas. Scout, Jem, and Atticus go to Aunt Alexandra's house. Aunt Alexandra always has something negative to say to Scout. Usually it's always about not acting lady-like, this time she was telling her off about the overalls she wears. But this year there is a different problem, her grandson Francis. He had heard about how Atticus was defending a black man in court. Francis makes Scout mad by running around shouting to her, "Nigger- lover!" Scout of course is very offended by this. Aunt Alexandra comes out and asks whats going on but of course she only listens to Francis's side of the story.

'Francis looked at me carefully, concluded that I had been sufficiently subdued, and crooned softly, "Nigger-lover..." This time, I split my knuckle to the bone on his front teeth. My left impaired, I sailed in with my right, but not for long. Uncle Jack pinned my arms to my sides and said, "Stand still!" ' (Lee 112).

I recommend this book to someone who wants to read an interesting classic but at the same time is historical fiction. I really love and enjoy this book. It is probably one of the greatest books I have ever read.

3 comments:

  1. This is such a nice post Hannah! I like your idea on racism and the quote about when someone calss scout a "nigger lover" I hope you like this book ad when you finishb it it yteaches you something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an amazing blog post hannah, i love your wording and how you explained everything thoroughly and very detailed. :) nice blog post over all :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your post. I want to read this book because it talks about racism and I just cannot stand racism. Good job on everything.

    ReplyDelete