Sunday, February 3, 2013

The Catcher in the Rye

Book: The Catcher in the RYe
Author: J.D. Salinger
Pages: 277
Genre: Classic

    If you were kicked out of university or college, what would you do? Would your first thought be to go home and tel your parents or wait until they figure out and til then do whatever the heck you want? Holden is finally leaving the school, but he is not going home. Christmas vacation will start in 1 week, and until then he is planning to stay in a hotel in New York until his parents find out he has been kicked out. Holden is one heck of a liar, as he gets on the train to New York he meets the mother of one of his class-mates, he tells her his name is Rudolf Schmidt, the janitors name, and that he is leaving Pencey(the school) because he is getting operated due to the fact that he has a small tumor on his brain. As Holden arrives to New York, the first thing he thinks about is to call someone. He goes to the Phone Booth, but has none to call; his brother D.B is in Hollywood, his younger sister is probably sleeping but their parents are with her, Sally Hayes, a friend, was another option but her mother would probably call Holden's mother since they knew each other, and finally he thought about calling Carl Luce, an old friend, the thing was he didn't like him... at all. Lastly, Holden decides to take a cab and goes to Edmond hotel, hoping that none of his relatives will be there. 

His plan for now is just to chill and live life, at least until his parents don't get the news. 
As my dad and I discussed the question, we both agreed that the main character, Holden, reminds us of a generation of teenagers. He is the typical guy that minds his own business, he is tough, dumb at times etc.
'"Hey, Ackley!"
He still didn't hear me. He slept like a rock.
"Hey, Ackley!"
He heard that, all right.
 "What the hell's the matter with you?" he said.'

These lines from page 65 remind me of me and some other friends, the language throughout the book is the language most teenagers use and the way Holden behaves is comparable to ours. However when my dad first had to answer the question about what he most liked about the protagonist, he said nothing which shocked me. I thought the main character was cool and out-going, but this shows me how different our thoughts are. However he also said that what makes the protagonist unique is that he chooses people, if he likes a person he will be a great person, describe them with great effort etc. however when he definitively hates a person he is a totally different person. 

Another quote I also liked from my reading was:

·         “Boy did I feel rotten. I felt so damn lonesome”-63 Some people feel like that a lot, however the paragraph I was reading, it really fit in with this line.

3 comments:

  1. I read this book and I really enjoyed it, I also have a blog post on it. By the way you explain it really well. If I haven't read the book, I would now because of your blog post. It describes the book very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the quote at the end, it really shows everything that the character is feeling, its the truth. I also really like how you start your blog posts with questions, etc and it makes me interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds interesting and I like your description of it. I like how you put a couple quotes from the book instead of only one.

    ReplyDelete