Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Old Man and The Sea

In the book Hemingway used some great descriptive language. I loved the language in the book because it painted pictures for me. He also used some strong language. I didnt learn new words but I did learn how to use the words strongly. The language in the book is amazing and very powerfull.


The Old Man and The Sea
Ernest Hemingway
Classic

In this weeks reading I finished The Old Man and The Sea. It was a really great book. I read some reviews on the book and people said that this book was written during a time when Hemingway had "Forgotten" his writing. I think that is preposterous. I loved the book, it was a great read and just the description itself kept me interested.

To sum up the story in a nut shell, there is a old man who hasn't caught a good fish  in 40 days so he sets out to sea but decides to go a bit further this time. While he was at sea he caught a monstrous fish that kept him busy for 2 and a half days till he killed it. He experienced serious back pains and started to feel bad-mentally. He was experiencing black outs and dizziness.  If he hadn't caught the fish when he did he probably would have died. But never the less he caught it and hauled it to the side of his boat because it wouldn't fit on his  skiff, that's just how huge it was. Reality came into play later in the book, when i say it came back its just crazy to think that such a huge fish could exist. Because of the return of reality the cycle of life came. The blood of the fish attracted sharks. By the time Santiago(the old man) arrived home from sea the fish had been totally mauled by sharks and all that remained was the skeleton.

The morning after he arrived people saw the huge skeleton and measured it. Santiago was praised for the huge fish. Sadly the Old Man started to get very sick and i assume he died.

6 comments:

  1. Hemingway is a writer that who writes with style and his works are very beautiful especially this one. I never read this book before but after viewing your informative and descriptive post, I have a urge to read this great classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really like when a writer uses very strong and powerful words that I can make a clear picture in my head. I like this post it has so much detail and makes the book seem very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Your blog post makes me really want to read the book. I really liked how you basically summarized the most important things about what happened instead of adding boring points. How did the sharks not catapult the boat?! But it sounds like a great story :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the way you describe the book and what happened; it makes it very interesting. i have the same question as Alex, but I also like that you have a heading. You could add a picture and a quote though. I really like your ending because you just say you ASSUME he died :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good ending, this makes me want to read the book since it looks like everything the man tries to do it just ends out not working for him. I wondered what else happened to him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this book in Paris when I was in fifth grade, and the details are really amazing :) Seems like you are enjoying the book, which is really good, because not many people do. Hemingway is a really great author, and you should read more of his books!

    ReplyDelete