Saturday, February 23, 2013

Book: Cather in the Rye
Author: J.D. Salinger
Pages:277
Genre: Classic

"Where do the ducks go during winter?" "How the heck should I know?" "Ok, well where do the fish go then?" "Leave it up to mother nature, they stay under the ice ok!". Holden's conversations are very much alike to this one, he is full of ideas and silly questions. After reading chapters11-15 I have a pretty clear idea what to base my book report on. The author describes Holden as being a very party type guy, so my dinner party will be in a bar, most probably in Erne's, this is a bar Holden spends some time at. He meets one of his older brothers ex's and has a short talk with her and her new Navy boyfriend, she is nothing special thought. Ernie's is a bar where just about anyone can get a drink, even a 6 year old due to how dark it is inside. Finally Holden goes back to the hotel and meets an elevator guy who makes a deal with him, " five bucks a throw, fifteen bucks til noon",he accepts. Later that night a prostitute just about his age comes to his room with the drinks, Holden is a virgin and is constantly becoming more depressed telling her he can't do this. There are a few cool things the author tells us about Holden during these chapters, for example:
  • He wouldn't mind to push a guy out of the window or cut his head off with an ax, but he absolutely hates fist fights, he hates looking at the other guys face
  • He can drink as many drinks as he wants and he won't show it
  • He has been really close to having sexual interaction with a girl, but he listens to the girl, meaning: if a girl playingly says 'stop it', most guys would keep on going, but Holden stops causing him to mess it up all the time
Even thought Holden seems like a pretty cool guy, he seems a little shy.
There are a few quotes I liked from the pages I read, two of them are:

  1. ·         “I’m always saying “Glad to’ve met you” to somebody I’m not at all glad I met. If you want to stay alive, you have to say that stuff, thought.” -114
  2. ·         “I swear to God, is I were a piano player or an actor or something and all those dopes thought I was terrific, I’d hate it. I wouldn’t even want them to clap for me. People always calp for the wrong things. If I were a piano player, I’d play it in the goddamn closet. -110

    I agree with the first one 100%, people always expect you to be kind and say Glad to've met you even thought you couldn't care less if you met that person or not. But of course it shows good manners, or even shaking hands, parents always teach you to shake hands with new people, it's just something we are forced to do. 
    The second quote I found funny, it is when he goes to Ernie's and Ernie is playing the piano, he is really bad at it but nobody cares and they just clap. I really don't think Holden is into piano playing xD

    How would you describe the author's use of language in this novel? Do you enjoy it? Have you learned new vocabulary?

    My dad and I both agree that Salinger is using very cool vocabulary and the type that back in the day would have been considered inappropriate, but it makes the story very real. My dad enjoys the language because it makes him feel young and he has to think younger, it also makes him think back to when he was a teenager and when he did the same things as Holden. I find the vocabulary just like the one we now-a-days use, so it is normal to me how the characters speak. We both learned a few new words, both in English and Italian (since my dad is reading it in Italian).

     

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your blog posts. I like how you start of with a statement or question because it really captures the readers attention. I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your post. I dont what it is about the bullet points and the numbers do but it just pulls me in. Love your quotes

    ReplyDelete