Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Old Man and The Sea

The Old Man and The Sea
Ernest Hemingway
Claasical

My partner and I have decided that the theme of this book is perseverence. The Old man perseveres to hold the fish day and night. He saw the fish jump once and the size of the fish that he saw he just wanted it more. I  think that there maybe another theme in this book like bravery but i think this is the main theme.

In this weeks reading not very much has occured. The Old Man is still holding the fish tightly. He has eaten the dolphin fish that he caught. The Old Man is experiencing some serious back and arm pains and cramps. The Old Man struggled intensly with one of his hands that had cramped in a claw. At this part it was more exciting because while he was frantically trying to uncramp his hand the fish decided to jump. This was the major part of my reading. But what I have noticed more about the Old Man is that he tends to dream or sort of wish. I noticed this when he said, "oh how I wish I wish the boy was here." He said this a couple times. Also another thing is that the conditions that the Old Man is experiencing is tough. If I was in the conditions he is in I would be scared or maybe slightly out of ease. First because he cant see shore and he is in the middle of the ocean with a huge fishing pulling him deeper out. I would be scared because first I would be alone and second If that fish pulls really hard suddenly and I fall in the water my boat might capsize and I wold be dragged in the water without a boat and I would get eaten by sharks. I have a serious fear of sharks so I would be terribly scared if I was in his conditions. But I guess having a fish of the size would be exciting. By now I think I would have cut the line and just caught a different fish.

2 comments:

  1. I like the theme: perserverance it seems really intresting. I also think its super cool your reading an Earnest Hemmingway novel, he is an amazing writer. Your quote is also very nice. good post sofia hope your enjoying the novel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the theme of the book is interesting, how the old man wants to preserve the mystery of the fish. Since most of the book is just him at sea is a lot of the book imagery, riddles, or flash backs to bring new thoughts to perspective? I would also be terrified if I was in the situation he was in I am also afraid of sharks.

    ReplyDelete