Tuesday, February 19, 2013

ORR #4: Old Goriot by Honore de Balzac

Title: Old Goriot
Author: Honore de Balzac
Genre: Classic
Pages: 328

This book is really interesting since it takes place in one of the most beautiful cities on earth - Paris in the 1820s. The book explores many themes and one of them is the corruption that has taken place, and the author also talks about the importance of family relations of the characters in the books, and it focuses on Goriot's undeniable love for his two spoiled and ungrateful daughters. The author also spends some time talking about Paris, and the influence of it. Some parts of the book also focus of the social status differences of the characters. My mom really likes this book, and it seems like she is enjoying it very much. She has these notes she takes every time she reads something interesting in the book, and it made me realize how different we are because I never take notes while I read and only do that, and memorize what I have just read.

A quote that I really liked in this part of the book I read was when Old Goriot said: "Work forty years of my life, carry sacks on my back, lard the earth with my sweat, and pench and save my whole life long for you, my darlings, who made all work easy for me and every burden light, only to see my fortune, my life, so up in smoke! If that were so I should go raving made, and die" is a clear statement where he doesn't mind all the hard things he has done throughout his life, because his two daughters were the two things that would always get him through it all. This is the part of the book that kind of annoys me because he has loved his two daughters, but they don't seem to love him as much back, and I just find that very sad.

1 comment:

  1. Really great post very detailed nice quote!! Its great that you founds a good book that you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete