Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Hobbit



Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 151/305

 I really enjoy The Hobbit. It is a great novel because it has so much variety in speech, it can talk with mistakes like a normal person, in riddles, in song, rhyme, and normal narration. So far throughout this book my favorite character has been Gandalf because of his mysteries and that he is so wise. In the story he said, "'We may meet again before all is over, and then again of course we may not. That depends on your luck and on your courage and sense...'"(Tolkien 136). This is interesting too because we do not know where or why Gandalf is leaving the hobbit and the dwarves.  The protagonist of the story is Bilbo Baggins, he and his group of people are venturing through scary forests and swaps with very little water and food. My mother and I find that he is a very scared person; a fly landing on his shoulders would make him jump, but when they are in real peril he can think on his toes. He is clever and courage's when needed. My mom relates Bilbo to a cat because cats can easily be scared but somehow they always land on their feet, just like Bilbo. They think things through. I related Bilbo to an old human man living in the country set to his own clam ways. I know that Bilbo is not an old man but he acts as one from his routines, tranquility, and sense. If an old man was whisked away on an adventure like this, both Bilbo and the old man would react the same.

My sister was not able to comment on the book this week due to other school work but she plans to catch up during the February break.

4 comments:

  1. HEY ABBY!!! This is an awesome post! Next time, you might want to add a little but more about the characters and more about the book to! All in all grate post! ::) (alien eyes)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hesitated reading this book because I really enjoy fiction, always wanted to read lord of the rings and actually bought the book. Everybody says it's so good and I'm reallly exited reading it! Also you probably know that The Hobbit just came out as a movie to, I didn't watch it but I'm planning to on February brake. Intresting fact: The actor that plays dumbledor in Harry Potter plays in this movie. Enjoy READING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog post abby! I think it was good how you told us about the different ways that the author writes such as in a riddle, or narrated. This reminds me a lot of the book I am reading. The author is really good at making the reader feel like they are in the story. I think your post was great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post! I didn't read the book but I saw the movie so I kind of picture what you are in my head. I really like how you told us about Gandalf and his mysteries. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete