Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Dracula Post 3


Dracula
Bram Stoker
Suspense/Horror






So far the classical novel, Dracula, has not seized to amaze me in how powerful the authors words can be on your mental interpretation of characters, scenes, and events. I think this is why the main character can be perfectly pictured in your brain. That's why I know what the main character, Jonathan Harker, is like; his personality, physical and mental attributes. I think that the way Jonathan was portrayed by Bram Stoker, made me think of him as a brave, intelligent man. I think his courage is what is Jonathan's most important attribute is. I love this attribute about him because I think that it is what makes the book interesting, that is honestly why I think that I love his courage the most. Without the courage of Jonathan Harker, the novel would be dull and would be about some wimpy man who isn't willing to take risks. Jonathan Harker will take leaps of faith, even if it judges life or death. For some reason, Jonathan Harker reminds me of Robin Hood. They are both valiant risk takers. Also in both novels, they are trying to get rid of an evil person/creature. The only difference I can find between Robin Hood and Jonathan Harker is the situation. Johnathan Harker is fighting the antagonist because he has to, while Robin Hood does it because he is righteous. What my mother admires most about the protagonist is that even though he is frightened, he uses logic to make the right decision. In that, he reminds her of her husband, who stays calm under pressure. Two examples of this are that even though Jonathan was scared of Count Dracula he knew it would make the situation worst if he questioned Dracula, but he refrained from confronting. Also, he snuck into Dracula’s coffin in order to attempt to get a key to escape, which took a lot of thought and planning.

Quote:

"The blood is the life!"

This was a quote from one of the secondary characters, Renfield, who is a crazy man in a mental asylum. So far throughout the book, Renfield has displayed a weird way of acting, almost like a bat or a vampire. I think that later in the book, the author will reveal that he was bitten by a vampire. This quote was when Renfield escaped and cut the doctor's hand. Some blood spilled on the floor and this is what Renfield said as he attempted to lick the blood off the floor. 

2 comments:

  1. It looks like Jonathan needs to get some thoughts through to actually get Dracula's key, but it seems like he can do it. Overall really good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know Dracula was a classic! Lol I love the quote...blood is life...yeah-FOR VAMPIRES!

    ReplyDelete