Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Buddenbrooks

The Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann Pages: 809 Posted by Luka Ilic The Plot is coming slowly to the climax as i predict. Now Johann Buddenbrook is already old and is dying, as the head of a very wealthy and powerful family, it is a great loss if he passes away. I concluded this from comparing the Bu8deenbrook family to my family. Since my grandfather is the head of the family, who is on a high position in Serbia, in the story, Thomas Buddenbrook becomes the Senator, which is a good comparison to my family, my grandfather is the Ambassador of the UN in Serbia. I though about this comparison, is my family lost my grandfather (heaven forbid) the family would start suffering and declining rapidly, just like the Buddenbrook family. The decline of a family (die verfall einer familie, on German) is the "slogan" of this story. The story has various themes, i would say that the book includes a lot of detail and dialogue that is meant to enrich the story. However, i would say that there is more than enough of detail and dialogue that is not even necessary in the story, which just makes the story long and boring. The theme of the story so far i would say is destiny and fate, which is unpredictable, just like the story, when the family is on its top and climax, starts declining and falling apart, and gets swallowed in the whole of darkness of the clod old family grave. Here are some Buddenbrooks family portraits

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds very interesting. I like how you related your family to the Buddenbrooks. I think that it helps giving a better understanding. It must be stressful to be Johann since every problem is his to deal with having such a high position.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luka, it's sounds like a very old and difficult book to read and putting and connecting your family to the book. It makes it easier to understand and be able to connect it to the real world!

    ReplyDelete