Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Hobbit

Author: J. R. R. Tolkien
Pages: 305/305
Genre: Fantasy

My mom and I have both just finished the hobbit. We are very satisfied with the ending, it had a very exciting twist towards the end. The dwarfs had made it to the mountain with their gold but the dragon Smaug was still there but then he flew to the Lake Town were he was defeated by Bard the master. The dwarfs, elves, and the people of Lake town were at the start of a war. However Gandalf came to save everyone and to inform them that goblins were coming to make a surprise attack, all three armies joined together and defeated the goblins. All harsh words said during the time of hatred was soon forgotten. What surprised me the most was when Thorin, Fili, and Kili died. This was a fantastic book. Now that I know how Tolkien writes I want to read the, Lord of The Rinds series. I really liked some of the universal sayings he had, for example, "'If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world'" (Tolkien 290).

My mom and I found that the language used in The Hobbit is very diverse. He uses older English, especially in dialog. Also he uses more modern English. Some of the vocabulary in this novel was very interesting because I had never even heard the words before. Tolkien also talks with great detail which helps get a vivid picture in your mind. I recommend the Hobbit

5 comments:

  1. I like the poems Tolkien made too! Just a little corrections: You wrote Lord of the Rinds, instead of Rings. :P I agree, you should read the series!!!! xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a good blog post! You were really able to captivate what the mood and emotions were like toward the twist at the end! (you sort of spoiled the ending for us!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice job. I like the quote from Tolkien and I guess its true, because instead of people killing each other for gold they could have fun together. It's cool that the details help you make images.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched the movie and I really liked it, from your description I think that the book is better so I'll make sure to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I agree with Masha about the poems they made it cooler! I watched the movie as well and you did kinda spoil the ending but that's ok cause the book sounds so awesome! I also really like the quote form Tolkien! Great job!

    ReplyDelete