Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Tatjana Wall Blog numebr 4

 Title: Pride and Prejudice
 Author: Jane Austen
Pages: 360
Genera: Romance Classic

“Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us.” 
                                                     -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
                                               

I have finished reading my novel, what has happened is that Elizabeth Bennett meets a soilder named Mr. Whickham who seems to be a very pleasent and agreable man who Elizabeth takes a big liking to. In the novel they see to bond very well and Mr. Wickham actually has a history with Mr.Darcy. When Elizabeth asks him what it is he lies and makes it sound like Mr. Darcy is a horrible person. Also their cousin Mr. Collins, who is supposed to inherrite the estate when Mr. Bennett dies, comes to visit and takes a liking to Elizabeth and asks for he hand in marriage, but she refuses. Also one of Elizabeths sisters runs away with Mr.Wickham (Lydia runs away with him) and then Mr. Darcy, secretly makes it a legitamite marriage so that Lydia does not end up ruining her sisters. Elizabeth also recives a request from marriage for Mr. Darcy but she refuses becuase she thinks hes a bad man, but later on when she realizes that Mr. Wickham lied she cahnges her mind and Mr. Darcy asks again and they get marriaed again. The theme that I think is being portraied right now is openness becuase in this novel there are many occurences when people judge someone without knowing who they are and this book is basically teaching you to be more open and not judge people so much. The author does this becuase throught the whole novel Elizabeth thinks of Mr. Darcy in a bad light and thinks of him as proud and very disagreable, where as shethinks of Wicham as agreeable and friendly and kind and very handsom, when in the end it turns out to be the other way around. I found this book mostly enjoyable I like how Elizabeth progresses throught the novel  and starts seeing Mr.Darcy is a different light. I also like the way of life and how Mr. Bingley and Jane are so cute together. The only thing that I didnt enjoy very much of this novel was that it was a little bit slow, in some points there were pointless converstations, but I think that it is jsut the way how things were written in that time, and I still liked how it gave me insight to what life was like in those times

3 comments:

  1. I always really wanted to read this book, and I was thinking of doing it for this project but I knew that many people were gonna do it, so that's why I chose another one. It seems like a romantic book, so I'm not sure about it, but you can never judge a book by it's covers right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book at home, and now because of your blog posts its making me want to read this book. I think it will be very interesting. At home I have a whoel lot of Jane Austen books. I really liked the detail in your blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the quote that you chose and the summary that you wrote is really good. Maybe next time you could separate the one paragraph into smaller ones so its more easy to read :D

    ReplyDelete