Monday, February 4, 2013

ORR #3: Old Goriot by Honore de Balzac


Title: Old Goriot
Author: Honore de Balzac
Genre: Classic
Pages: 328

My mom and I are reading this book, and I think that it's a really good one! It talks about a father's unconditional love for his two daughters, and since the topic of the third blog is who the main protagonist reminds you of, my mom actually agree on something (for once). My mom and I actually think that the protagonist is similar to my dad. We think that because the main character has really sacrificed his life, and money to try and raise his two daughters, and I think that my dad would probably do the same thing for me and my sisters. No matter what I do, and what I say my dad will be there supporting me, and saying that it is my life, and that his job was to raise me right, and give me a lot of opportunities, but what am I gonna do with that, it is on me. The protagonist has two daughters and he has given them everything he has, and more, but the daughters seem ungrateful, and i don't think that that is really fair.

About the book, I really like how the author describes the situations, and the setting of the book, which is my favorite city in the world - Paris. I sometimes wish that I lived in the past, because I find Paris very beautiful, and a sophisticated, and graceful movie. A quote that I think is really good/meaningful is “It is always assumed by the empty-headed, who chatter about themselves for want of something better, that people who do not discuss their affairs openly must have something to hide.” I like it because it talks about the human mind and character. I am enjoying the book right now! 

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a sweet book. I like how you talked about your dad. Add more about the plot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a very emotional book because of the fathers triumph.I wonder why the girls are so ungrateful. I like your opinion on the character and how both your dad and the father in the story would do anything for their children.

    ReplyDelete