Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Hobbit

Author: J.R.R. Tolken
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 220/305

My mother and I both agree that The Hobbit is now hitting its climax, which is my favorite part of the book like most others. The book is getting really exciting. The Dwarfs and Mr. Bilbo Baggins have finally arrived at the mountain where the antagonist dragon Smaug lives. The group wants to get the money the dragon had stole from them a long time ago. Which made this part of the story even more exciting is that the dragon has just been woken up and is currently hunting down the group. My mom and I both agree about the theme change on the book, and we even researched it and the website said the same thing. We think that theme change is how Bilbo changes from slowing down the group and just being something else that they have to lug around, to the hero of the story. From the very beginning Gandalf said that Bilbo would be very useful but nobody believed him. The passage from the story that made us think this is, "From which you can see that they had changed their opinion of Mr.Baggins very much, and had begin to have a great respect for him(as Gandalf said they would)" (Tolken 166). The way the author did this was not just changing the character half way through but giving Bilbo chances to be independent and gather advantages like the ring which grants him invisibility.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting book. I watched the movie and I have the book but I still didn't get to read it. You did a good job but you could be more detailed. Good job anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stefan, is right it does sound interesting! It reminds me a bit of The Lord of the Rings. I saw the movie like Stefan and it is really good so I expect the book to be even better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are enjoying the book! I have always wanted to read The Hobbit along with the Lord of the Rings. I have seen the movies. This is a great blog post, you really updated us on what is going on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you included a quote that went along with your whole paragraph and not something thats from like the beginning of the book

    ReplyDelete