Monday, February 4, 2013

Journey To the Centre of the Earth Post 3




They have finally set off on their journey  well the journey to the spot where they can begin their journey to the centre of the Earth. If you haven't read my last post, it's pretty straight forward. The professor Lidenbrock reads a book called "The Chronicles of an Icelandic Prince" but out falls a paper, a code. He spends days trying to crack it, until his nephew, Axel finds the answer. They soon set off to a volcano called Snaeffels which is apparently the key to getting to the centre of the Earth. The start off in Hamburg, which is where they live, a train ride to Kiel (point b) and finally a train and steamer ride to Copenhagen (point c). After that a sailboat ride around the tip of Denmark and into the North sea. Further up past Scotland and the Shetland island and into the Atlantic Swell. This is a spot in the Atlantic with rather large waves. And finally to Cape Portland, which is now known as Dyrholaey. Then across Iceland and to Reykjavík. This is quite a journey and I really can't wait for the final destination. As for the character analysis we, dad and I compare the protagonist, Axel, and his Uncle Leidenbrock to Sherlock and Watson. The comparison is perfect, aside from a few minor things. Sherlock is the one who dives into things head first, and is extremely clever. Watson or Axel is more cautious, and emotional, and values his own life a lot more. Both Watson and Axel are very clever, but completely undermined by Sherlock and professor Leidenbrock. The only thing that isn't consistent is that Professor Leidenbrock needs Axel whereas Sherlock doesn't need Watson, he just likes a friend. My feelings about the protagonist is that he is a simple character, designed to make the relationship between him and professor Leidenbrock more interesting. Also his emotional side, his love for his wife and his strong need to protect his own life are stark contrast to the professor. I do also think that the fact that he is afraid of heights is ironic as he is about to go straight in the opposite direction. I also think this makes him a little easier to connect to, for dad who is afraid of heights.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome. I think i heard Alek talking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Alfie! The book sounds so interesting! Why we never thought of it before...a volcano being the source of getting to the centre of the Earth, I don't know. Maybe because it's too hot, and nothing that gets into the volcano can survive. Oh yeah...that does make sense. My mum said it was a great book, even though I am not she read it herself, it was probably just the fact that it was by a great author, Jules Verne. You see, my mum prefers it if I read books that have a science story in it, rather than books like Twilight, with vampires and werewolves (unfortunately). Well any way...1,2,3 off I go to read the book myself! x-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds very complicated with all of the connections with the characters keeping them in a group by at least one person. I predict that Professor Leidenbrock will eventually take a dark turn and become a very big problem on their journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you will enjoy reading this book. Maybe add a picture of the book. You did a great job writing this post but I think the first line is pretty confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Alfie! grate post, so cool tht we are reading the same books! I like how you added the picture at the top to show their path! :D

    ReplyDelete