Sunday, October 13, 2013

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Blog #4

1) Title: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay
Author: Suzanne Collins
Genre: Dystopic Fiction
Number of pages read: 180/390

2) This week, a lot of new things have happened. First, Peeta warned Katniss through code that there was going to be a bombing in District Thirteen, so they got everyone into safety in time. He was right, there was a bombing, but no one got killed. Katniss also figured out why President Snow han't killed Peeta; because he is the only thing that Snow can use to break Katniss, the only chance he has of getting to her. When Katniss figures out that they are torturing Peeta to break her, she actually breaks and collapses into misery and guilt; she blames herself for everything. After this dramatic turn of events, a team of soldiers (including Gale) is sent to the Capitol to rescue Peeta so Snow can't hurt Katniss anymore. But then she realizes that either both Gale and Peeta could come back alive, or they could both die and she would be left alone. This breaks her even more. Now she is waiting for the news. Katniss is completely broken and miserable, Peeta is being tortured to hurt Katniss, Gale is in the Capitol trying to rescue Peeta along with Boggs, Finnick is also completely broken, and everyone else is just happy that Katniss is still alive.

3) More dramatic things are starting to happen, the relationships between characters and themselves are so complicated that it's hard to keep up with, but that just makes the book more interesting. The book is just getting better and better, and I hope it stays that way. I am quite concerned about Katniss right now though, she couldn't possible be feeling any worse. It is almost to the point where she is barely making it through the day. I really hope that Gale and Peeta make it back alive, otherwise I think she might kill herself.

4) "Today I might lose both of them. I try to imagine a world where both Gale's and Peeta's voices have ceased. Hands stilled. Eyes unblinking. I'm standing over their bodies, having a last look, leaving the room where they lie. But when I open the door to step out into the world, there's only a tremendous void. A pale gray nothingness that is all my future holds" (Collins 166). This passage reveals that Katniss is truly miserable, and now she has even let go of the hope that they might come back alive. She is trying to imagine life without either of them, which clearly seems impossible from reading this. It makes me feel sad and empty as well, as a reader. I can understand why Katniss wouldn't want to live anymore if Peeta and Gale didn't exist. And i can relate to it, personally, since I was in a similar situation once that I wouldn't like to talk about. I can really understand her feelings. And it kind of scares me to think that it is possible to want to take your own life.



No comments:

Post a Comment