Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - blog #3

1) Title: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay
Author: Suzanne Collins
Genre: Dystopic Fiction
Number of pages read: 140/390

2) Over the past week, a lot has happened. Katniss, Gale, and some other people went to district eight to visit the people in the hospital after a terrible bombing, when another one starts. The hospital was destroyed and there were no survivors. Since Katniss is now the mockingjay (the symbol of the rebellion against the Capitol), she also has to act like the leader. So they make footage of her in battle and air it all over Panem for everyone to see. The same people also went to district twelve -- Katniss' and Gale's previous home, before it was destroyed as well -- to get good footage there as well. Katniss and Gale went back to their old home, where nothing but ashes remain, except for the Victors' Village of course, that looked as it always had.They also saw Peeta on television; he looked like the Capitol had been torturing him. He still calls for a cease-fire, although that will clearly not happen. After the first few propos of Katniss in battle and visiting places in the war were aired, the strength of the rebels grew. They were even able to hack into the Capitol's system to air the propos there as well. Katniss and Gale are not really getting along, and this I think is sad because he's the only real friend she has. In this section, I learned that Kantiss is stronger than she thinks, and has more impact on people than anyone knew. With her as their weapon, the rebels could win the war.

3) So far, I think the book is just getting better and better. There are more dramatic things happening now that I didn't expect at all. There are also some surprises, and I love surprises when I read; it gets me thinking. Now that the book is so good, my expectations of it are higher, so I hope I don't end up getting disappointed in the end. I am really excited to continue reading, and I hope nothing really bad will happen in the story.

4) "I begin to fully understand the lengths  to which people have gone to protect me. What I mean to the rebels. My ongoing struggle against the Capitol, which has so often felt like a solitary journey, has not been undertaken alone. I have had thousands upon thousands of people from the districts at my side. I was their Mockingjay long before I accepted the role," (90). This passage I think means a lot, because it is a moment when Katniss realizes how many people are on her side, and how much she means to them; that just her being alive can drive so many people forward to fight for themselves. That her spirit, her being is the true weapon of the rebels; the only chance they have of winning. This passage sort of fascinates me as a reader, because of the power and meaning of the words. This moment in the story, it's as if the world just pauses, waits and watches as Katniss realizes how much power she actually has, then when it's over, the world carries on, and Katniss is left in her moment alone. At least that's how I imagine it in my mind when I read it.

2 comments:

  1. Nice blog post Olivia! you have many details in your post and this makes me want to read the book. :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog post Olivia! you have many details in your post and this makes me want to read the book. :))

    ReplyDelete