Sunday, October 13, 2013

Blog Post 4 Leonardo

Bud, Not Buddy Blog Post 4
TITLE: Bud, Not Buddy
AUTHOR: Christopher Paul Curtis
GENRE: Historical Fiction
PAGES: 148/236
In the past pages, several things have happened. While leaving Flint to go out west, Bud turned and looked at his home city. He starts jumping across an imaginary line that separated the city from the country. As he walks in the middle of the night, he gets stopped by a man with a hat that made him look like a soldier. The man offers Bud a sandwich, and he accepts. Bud is offered a ride by the man and, with caution, he accepts. The man's name is "Lefty" Lewis. Bud thinks tat he is a vampire because he sees a box with human blood inside and starts to threaten him with his jackknife. He clarifies that the blood is for a patient in a hospital in Flint. During the ride, Lewis starts asking questions about Bud's family and things like that. From Lewis, Bud got his first pair of pants, which was something really special for him. From this, I have learned that Mr. Lewis is a caring person who wants to take care of Bud. These events have made Bud feel more confident and loved. They also make me look at racism differently. They show me that just because you see a black kid on the street, doesn't mean you just make fun of him, the events show me that you can be colored but loved at the same time.
I think that as I go further into the book, it gets deeper and deeper. I start to see how other characters are feeling, how the relationships between them are reinforced, etc. I don't know how, but i just feel like my recent reading has fulfilled my expectations. I expect Lewis and Bud's relationship to get even stronger. I'm very satisfied with my reading.
"He[Lewis] said, 'I know your father, everybody in Grand Rapids knows your father.' I[Bud] didn't say anything" (111). This quote from the book shows that Bud's father does exist. It gives Bud hope and motivation to get to Grand Rapids. This passage intrigues me because now I am curious to see Bud's overall reaction throughout the next chapters. Will he be determined to get to Grand Rapids? Will he give up now that he knows that his dad is alive? Will he change his mind and go back to his foster home? I guess I'll have to wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment