Sunday, October 27, 2013

Pretty Little Liars #1 (Finished The Old Book)


  • Title: Pretty Little Liars 
  • Author: Sara Shepard
  • Genre: Mystery 
  • Number of pages read this week: 50/244

  • Report Section
At this point of reading, the author introduces us with the close group of friends, in which everyone is different in their own way. The 'leader' of this group is Alison, who is the most popular and the smartest girl in their school. There's Aria, an independent girl who doesn't care about other people's opinion, Emily who is the best swimmer in the school and has secret feelings for Alison, Hanna who strives to be thin and to look and behave like Alison, and Spencer- the most competitive and smartest girl in their group. Author introduces us with their type of relationship. Alison is the person who gets them all together, and she is the person who is making everyone feel special and unique. Suddenly, she mysteriously disappears during their sleepover in summer right before the start of wight grade. The story then jumps 3 years later, where the girls are separated and don't talk to each other at all. Aria comes back from her three-year trip to Island, where she falls in love with the unknown guy in the bar, who turns out to be her English teacher. Emily becomes best friend with the new girl in town, Maya, and she becomes very close with her. Hanna looses weight, and becomes the most popular girl in school. Spencer continues struggling in her long lasting rivalry, with her perfect sister, Melissa. 
In this section of reading, I have discovered many things about the main characters' personality. When only one person is gone, the others' might lose everything that they had. In this particular example, Hannah, Aria, Spencer and Emily lose their friendship only because of one person's disappearance. I also discovered that time is the cure to everything and the perfect example is Hannah who lost instead of weight gained self-confidence in herself. 
Also, at the beginning of the book, it is shown that the siblings might have a lot of struggles in their relationship. Spencer was competing with her sister basically her whole life, and she never loved her like the sister. Spencer always wants what she can't have, and she wants everything that belongs to Melissa. Also, this might have effected her friendship with other's because she feels like she's the one who's always right and who doesn't make any mistakes. 

  • Response Section 
I think that this passage that I read is very well written first of all. The author used easy word choice and it was easy to understand and keep reading. This is a book that most of the teenagers read, so in every other sentence in the book  I could find myself. Sara Shepard tried to present others' out way of thinking, and how we actually react to many different struggles and situations. 
My recent reading has fulfilled my expectations. I experienced the same situation as with previous book. I could barely stop reading, because of the nice word choice and because of the interesting point of view that author introduces us with. I really liked the book so far, and I think that something interesting and exciting might happen. 
As I have already mentioned, I think that something exciting might happen in my continued reading, and I honestly except teenage drama and Alison's return at the end of the book. 
I am very satisfied with what I have read. I find this book so realistic, and I personally love the books that I can relate to, and this certainly is the one that I am able to recognize and find  myself in. I can't wait to read more of it and to find out what is going to happen further with every character, and are they actually going to get along together like before!!! 

  • Passage Section 
'' Everyone was quiet for a few seconds, and the girls looked blankly at each other. This had happened a lot lately: Someone -usually Ali- mentioned something, and someone else got upset, but everyone was too shy to ask what in the world is going on.'' (page 9)

This is actually a very realistic example of their relationship between Ali went missing. Ali was the one who actually wasn't afraid to be herself, and who wasn't afraid to offend and hurt others with her words, and none of the girls could stand up to her and tell her their opinion about her offending other people without thinking of hurting them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment