Monday, October 14, 2013

Outside Reading: Hunt For Red October (4)


Hunt For Red October

Title: Hunt For Red October

Author: Tom Clancy

Genres: Novel/Action/Suspense

Percent read: 68/100

 

Summary:

 

Building on what I wrote in my third blog post this section starts off with the Americans trying to convince the Soviets that Red October has been lost, when actually the U.S. Navy simply puts an undistinguished vessel in place of the October and October is now in the hands of the Americans.

 

Meanwhile the U.S. Navy rescues the October’s crew and those who were unknowing to Ramius’s defection. After Ramius fakes a reactor problem he and the others who had knowledge of the true plan stayed aboard the October with promises that they would not let the October to fall into American possession. To add affect to the oblivious October crew a retired U.S. submarine, the Ethan Allen, is blown up underwater as a trick.

 

Next Ryan, Captain Mancuso, some of his most trusted men, and a British officer from the board the Red October and meet Ramius and some of the Soviet crew.

 

Throughout this section I noticed that both powers wanted the October so badly that by lying tensions just seemed to become greater between the Soviets and Americans. Also Ramius was so determined to make the defection that he went so far as to tamper with his own vessels radiation detection system and also the nuclear reactor.

 

Response:

 

To me the section I read this time was very interesting because the American crew and the soviet crew finally met. Also the fact that the American plan was actually being executed was very fun to read about. All in all this section completely fulfilled my exceptions and I greatly enjoyed reading this section.

 

I predict in future reading that there will a problem with the American plan, whether on the October, with another submarine or even due to a hole in the plan. Furthermore I believe that the Soviet navy as not yet given up on the October and they may even look further.

 

Quotation:

 

“Welcome to the New World, Captain.”

I believe this quote (said just as Captain Mancuso was showing Ramius a film about the United States) really shows just how awe inspiring and different the U.S. is through a Soviet’s eyes. Also I believe this quote reveals just how much different The United States is compared to the Soviet Union. As a reader I feel this quote gave a sort of context as to how different the Soviet Union must have been to what I personally find normal, for example it is amazing to the Soviet crew that a working man I allowed to own a car.

No comments:

Post a Comment