Sunday, October 20, 2013

Blog Post 5 Leonardo

Title: Bud, Not Buddy
Author: Christopher Paul Curtis
Genre: Historical Fiction
Pages: 204/236

In the past chapters, there have been some important outcomes in the book. One of these is that Bud has finally reached Grand Rapids after all the hard work. After arriving, Bud goes to meet his dad. He goes to the place where they rehearse and finds them there. He convinces them to keep him, and he eventually joins the band, cleaning and mopping the tables, stage, and floor. with the band, he gets free meals, a place to sleep, and a new suitcase for all his belongings! He gets to ride with them wherever they go, and also learns a few tricks along the road. His supposed-to-be father is against Bud's staying with the band, and doesn't treat him very nicely. From these events, I have learned that majority rules, so if you're the only one voting for something, tough luck! These events have affected Bud because they make him feel better about himself and the band makes him feel like he is part of a family. 
I think that the book is getting deeper and deeper into Bud's life, his feelings, and his connections. My recent reading hasn't fulfilled my expectations yet, but I'm sure it will at the end of the book. I expect for Bud to find out who his father is and who he (Bud) really is. I am very satisfied with my reading.
"Rules and Things Number 28: Gone = Dead" (178). This passage from the book shows me a few things. First, it shows me that Bud thinks he knows everything about grown-up talk. He thinks that everything has a meaning, that everything has a translation. It also shows me that Bud likes to know what's going on. It's almost as if he needs to know every little thing happening around him. He is a very up-to-date person, which can be both a good thing and a bad thing. The passage frustrates me as a reader because it makes me just want to step into the book and remind Bud that he is just a ten year old kid, not an adult. He should remember who he is so he doesn't know too much about things. He needs to remember to be a kid. He needs to remember who he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment