Thursday, May 9, 2013




Charles Darwin Portrait of a Genius 
Paul Johnson
Genre: Biography
 
Charles Darwin: Portrait of a Genius

As I now have finished the book as of more than a week ago, I think that is by far one of the best biographies of all time. It clearly depicts Charles Darwin's life, goals, and accomplishments in an easy and interesting way to read. I found out how interesting Charles Darwin's later life was. After returning from the voyage around the world on October 2 1836, he spent much of his time writing research papers and cataloging the many new species of animals and plants, as well as unique seas shells that he had found. Three years later, he married his first cousin Emma Wedgewood. The book also explains a lot about how he recorded and which species and also which universities supported him, such as Cambridge.

      As I prepare to enter HS, how can I live my own life in a better way to fulfill the life goals I have for myself? 
I think the key concept in order to get to a goal is hard work. I would say that I give a good effort in most things and at most times, when I want to. But when there are certain projects, assignments, or even classes that I find less interesting, I have a habit of working less hard in them. If I want to reach my goal and go to a good college, I must work hard in all classes no matter what. One other thing that could stop me from reaching my goal are distractions. Some of these distractions could be friends and habits that I get into. If I avoid these all together, I will reach my goal. M
What is one MORE unique thing you have discovered about your figure?

An interesting thing I figured out about Charles Darwin was that he was obsessed with eating rare and unique foods and animals. This obsession happened after his voyage on the HMS Beagle, that is when his strange obsession for eating rare animals began. He would eat any new animal that he had never tried. For example, many of the rare animals he discovered in the Galapagos Islands, including flora as well.
    Describe your figure’s mentors and special trainings?
Well, while Charles Darwin was studying to be a minister in college, he had many professors who taught him different subjects such as biology. One of his other mentors could have been Captain FitzRoy. He was the captain of the HMS Beagle while on Darwin’s voyage. It was said that he and Darwin became good friends and FitzRoy felt like Darwin was a very intelligent man. It is unknown who may have influenced Charles Darwin to do such remarkable things, but it is certain that Charles Darwin was a very intelligent man to start with.


Recently, I have found a really good movie called the genius of Charles Darwin (“Genius of Charles Darwin”topdocumentaryfilms.com) that was online that I used to right a good percent of my essay. It taught me about Darwin’s influence on Biology and our perspective of living things and how they change over time.
Movie link:
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/genius-charles-darwin/

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your blog post, the detail that you put into the explanation, was very interesting to follow. I cant wait to read more! :)

    ReplyDelete