Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Blog Post Number 4

Title: Gandhi the Man: How One Man Changed Himself to Change the World
Author: Easwaran Eknat
Genera: biography
Pages: 200

Over the break I watch the Gandhi the 1982 movie  it is actually a movie that my dad worked on recommended for me to watch. It is actually a fairly acurate account of Gandhis life it is not changed to shit hollywood (hence the 3 hour length of the movie). In this movie it goes straight to Gandhis life after he finished his university and goes to south africa to work there so I will talk about his life before this event. So Gandhi was born on October 2, 1869 in a small state in western India. His name when he was born was Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi and only later recived the title Mahatma which means great soul. His name Gandhi means grocer. the Gandhis however were not grocers but many generations before they were. In fact Gandhis father, grandfather, and uncle were prime ministers to the princes of Porbandar. The Gandhis were part of the lower cast but however were considered middle class and they were cultured and very religious Hindus. At the age of 13 he got married to Kastarubi. It was a maraige arragned by his family and he got married at the same time as his older brother and cousin becuase weddings were expesnsive so they did it all at once. Gandhi was 16 when his father died. 2 years after that Gandi graduated from high school and went to a small Indian college Samalds College at the University of Bombey. But after one term he retuened home but was soon offered an oppertunity at the age of 18 to study at the University College London. He accepted it and went there in September 1888. Once he went back to India after graduting law school he couldnt find work in Indai and then went to South Africa. And that is where the movie leaves off.




1. As I prepare to enter HS, how can I live my own life in a better way to fulfill the life goals I have for
myself?

I can live my life more and more independantly and learn to keep my money for things I really want and figure out ways to earn extra money becuase what I want to do in life has no money out of it, however I still plan on going to collage and getting a GOOD day job but I still need to learn how to spend my money wisley and keep it.
2. What is one MORE unique thing you have discovered about your figure?
I think one of the most unique things about Gandhi was that there were 6 attempted asasinations before he was actually asasinated. I really belive that someone or something was looking out for him becuase even thought not all the attempted assasinations were hard to avoid some were really pure luck that he survived
3. Describe your figure’s mentors and special trainings?
Gandhi many times would do a hunger stirke until his single goal was accomplished and would not eat until it was fufilled. His "training" for this was that when he was growing up his mother would often do fasting and he grew up aroudn this. However Gandhi himself created many things that were his idea for example he created Swaraj and also he started the civil dis obedicance moevemnt. Also Gandhi was a very faithful and religious Hindu and that was, in a way, his "mentor" but Gandhi was very independanct and almost everyhtign came from him and his belifes soley.

3 comments:

  1. I really like your blog post and especially your answer for the third question. I find it very interesting how you said that he had a food strike... :D Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your toughs on the movie.You really got me interested and I would watch it my self.I found it interesting how you answered the first two questions and I like your toughts and how you think you can accomplish it.Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how summarized what you learned from the movie. I have seen the movie as well and I think it is a good source. I also like how you answered question 3 really well about his mental training and his mentors.

    ReplyDelete