Thursday, May 9, 2013

Helene's post

Title: Something out of nothing
author: Mc Claferty
Pages: 220
Pages read: 220
Genre: Biography

In the second half of this book we learn about many obstacles in Marie's life. Since the beginning she had to work in really bad conditions as she spent most of her life using an old shed as a laboratory. She also ended up with a lot of health problem due to all the time she spent with Radium, a strongly radioactive element. Her second child that died little time after birth and theop death of her  ,,husband.  But we also learned about her happy marriage with Pierre Curie, a brilliant scientist. Her two wonderful daughters, one, Irene, whom received a noble price in chemistry with her husband a few years after her mother's death.I even discovered that Marie's last wish was for a Radium center to be built in Poland and for a rose bush to be watered.  The book also talked a lot about all the effects of the discovery of radium and all the different products people soled at the time. I  found this book very interesting and well done, it went in chronological order so it wasn' t confusing, it was well written and had plenty of really interesting documents.

1. Goal
I plan on improving my note taking skills and organization, because it will be easier to studie if I do. And  studying hard should get me     into a good college which would prepare me to do a job that I love and hopxefully I' good at. Because if I do something that I really  love it almost always means that I will be memorable. That is what Marie Curie did, she always did everything she could to be a scientist and she is obviously memorable for that.

Interesting thing about Marie curie. 
Even in her young adult years, when She was still in Poland, Marie took risks. She took secret classes in a floating university. And she taught children in a small village, polish,  their home tongue  that they were forbidden to speak by the Russians.

Her special training.
Marie's special training was first to be taught by scientists working at the place where she was a governess for 4 years and then too go to a floating university. And finally going to the university in La Sorbonne Paris. She was also the first women to get a doctora in France.

2 comments:

  1. Marie Curie risked a lot when experimenting with radium, it must have been really difficult. I like your goal btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you organized your post, its easy-flowing. I also think that her having secret classes is interesting, sometimes people just have to take risks and its fun :P Great job!

    ReplyDelete