Monday, September 10, 2012

ORR #2: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

As far as I have read in the book, the character has already went through the day that she died three times (not including the actual day that she died). The first time she makes herself believe that the actual day that she died, February 12th, was just a dream and she wasn't really reliving the day, and that she wasn't dead. However the second day she already starts to realize that she is in a kind of a bubble, and that she has to find a way to "get out of it". Then she starts to do things differently, she acts differently in school, she is nice to some people, and she tries to convince her friends not to go to a party where they get in a fight with this girl called Juliet Sykes, when they start driving home, they die. This didn't work for her, yes she might have convinced her friends not to go to the party, and they have a sleepover, but her problem is not solved. Samantha, the main character, and her friends have a sleepover at Ally's (one of the four friends, Lindsay, Elody, Ally and Samantha/Sam). Here the main character is constantly wondering if she has really found a way to escape her death, and if the next day she will be in a coma somewhere or if she will be alive. During the sleepover they get disturbing news that one girl from their school, called Juliet Sykes killed herself, Samantha starts asking Lindsay questions about her past friendship with Juliet and what really happened, however Lindsay doesn't answer. After that they both go to sleep, and in her sleep Sam is taken back to her death day, again.  This third time she just gives up and starts dressing up differently (provocatively) and she starts acting mean, skips classes etc. because at the end of the day none of it is gonna matter. Her day is just going to be erased and she's gonna start again. 
For now that's how far I have come in the book. The only way I can describe this book to you is, when you pick it up it's very hard to put it down. The day we came back to Macedonia, I was up until 3 reading it because it's just that interesting (my mom came yelling at me in the room saying I need to go back to sleep). As I mentioned before in my last blog post I am truly impressed with the authors understanding and vocabulary because when you read the book, it feels like you are talking to a seventeen-year-old girl who is telling you all that she is going through. I can't wait to see what happens next! 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a complex and interesting book. The description of what it feels like to read it are quite in depth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a lot to keep track of. I agree this book does sound interesting but for me I think it would be a bit sad.

    ReplyDelete