Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Al Capone does My Shirts

 

Pages: 154-225
Author: Gennifer Cholodenko
Genera: Historical-Fiction

     I have just finishes the book "Al Capone does my Shirts". I am very happy with this book. As I have already said this book is out of my comfort zone because I do not often read books about historical fiction. I am glad I have read it. As you would have know if you had read my other post is that the main character is named Moose and his sister Natalie is a bit off with how she acts. A lot of the book is how Moose and his family try to get Natalie into a school called   “Esther P. Marinoff School” which would really help her get over some of her issues. Natalie had to follow Moose around everywhere because their father was always working and his mother started teaching piano lessons everyday but Tuesday. It was good for Natalie but a bit bad for Moose. Moose was getting annoyed by her then but he could never yell at her. Moose went to an area where all the cons played baseball, looking for a ball for one of his friends. While he was looking a prisoner who was on gardening duty started to talk to Natalie, his jumpsuit number was 105. It took a while until Moose knew what was happening but when he did he did not like it at all. But from the time Natalie started to get better, makes me think that prisoner 105 was the one that really helped Natalie because it was at the same time period. That is just my opinion. Moose’s mother and father became really proud of him. Moose discovered a big bond between him and his sister, she really loved him and he loved her. In the end Esther P. Marinoff School had let in Natalie. The reason for that is Moose had sent a letter to Al Capone who was thought to be a bit of a Robin Hood, asking him for help getting Natalie in the school since the application was not allowed the first time. For a while Moose thought that nothing had happened, that Al did not do anything, but the day he heard the news of Natalie’s acceptance."The next morning I get up and pull a clean shirt off the hanger. As I shoot  my arm through the sleeve, I hear something crackle. I dig my fingers in the pocket and pull out a torn scrap of paper. It's folded  and half and in half again. Inside is one word scribbled hastily in pencil and underlined twice. Done, it says."This shows that Al Capone really does do his shirts. I really liked what the author had at the end of the book telling the pure truth behind the facts in this story. One part which I found really interesting was where it said that Natalie most likely had autism which in the 1930s where the book took place, had not been discovered yet. I highly recommend this book.

3 comments:

  1. sounds like a good read

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that sometimes historical fiction can be boring but sometimes,like this book, it can be really great

    ReplyDelete
  3. this sounds interesting but kind of confusing. maybe you could add some pictures to have some space between all the writing :)

    ReplyDelete