Tuesday, September 11, 2012

If I Could Fly

Tittle: If I Could Fly
Author: Jill Hucklesby
Award: Waterstone's Children's Book Award 2011
Total Number of Pages: 292
Genre: Novel
Pages Read This Week: 190-292

At the last part of my book, Calypso finds out that the reason that all the stray dogs and cats were not there anymore is because the FISTS are killing them by spraying a poisonous gas because they think that they spread the disease that has killed many people. While she was sleeping a sweet warmth woke her up and by a surprise it was Furball. After a few days that she spent with Alfie going to the roller coasters and having fun she finally remembers why she ran from her house. Her died was drunk, tried to hit her mother and she defended her. While she did that, her dad accidently stabbed her with a result of her twisting the knife her dad was holding in her hands and pushing it into his stomach. That’s how the pain in the tight was explained. After just a few seconds, the FISTS sent a robot into the hospital because they knew there was someone living there but somehow, the robot couldn’t see her. When she tells that to Alfie, he tells her that she is half dead and she needs to decide if she wants to go back  to her old body which is now in a hospital or officially die and go with him. The reason that she is half-dead is because of her scratch in the tight. In the hospital she is dead and the doctors try to bring her back to life but they can’t because her spirit is not in there, it is in the old hospital. After she calms down, she finds out that Alfie was dead too for three years because of pneumonia. ‘But how can people see me?’ she asks. The answer to her question that I also had is because she was often holding something alive which made her visible. Another question that was answered is how Dair disappeared. Dair, when he was a child he escaped from his house but the FISTS put him a chip at his brain so they can control him but after he dies, he doesn’t want to accept that he is dead and the was a ghost watcher of Calypso because she was an arrival and since she went to get help for him that was sick, he put the building on fire, so he could explain his disappearance and that’s when Alfie replaced him. After a lot of thinking, she decides to go to her body because she wants to see, feel, hear her mom again.


This is the most complicated but interesting book I have ever read. When I got to the part where she finds out that she is dead I didn't want to stop reading. That part was the most confusing for me but when I read till the end I figured out everything. The sad thing is that it ends very sharply: "I am ready to open my eyes" That is the last word it says and i am sure that there is not going to be a second part. I really like this book and I could read it again if I had to. I really loved the fact that we don't know what is going to have to her at the end because when you do, it is not interesting to read.I recommend you to read this book. It i breath-taking!

No comments:

Post a Comment