Saturday, October 1, 2011

Habibi



Title:  Habibi

Author: Naomi Shihab Nye

Genre: Fiction

Comments:

The next 50 pages of this book is more interesting than the first 50 pages. I believe this is because more drama and action is happening now. I feel like I’m the protagonist in the book, because I’ve experienced everything Liyana is currently experiencing .
The pages I read this week were about the Abbouds settling in a house in Jerusalem. They decided to go shopping and learn about the country more. Since Liyana’s father knows a lot about Jerusalem, he decides to give them a tour around, and he explains the surroundings while they were in the car. The next day her parents sign up Rafick and Liyana to a new school, where everything is different from their old school. In the book, Liyana describes how bad her school is. For example, she isn’t even allowed to wear a ring, “it distracts others from working,” she says.  Later that day Liyana and Rafick go to Sitti’s house in the village and decided to sleep there. Strangely, they hear Sitti talking to somebody, they thought she was praying, but when they heard that she believes in spirits and ghosts, they started to get frightened and fell asleep immediately. I found this extremely interesting, I was imagining how I would have felt if I were in their shoes.
My favorite part was reading about how every person in Jerusalem has many relatives that they don’t even know. For example, I read about how an old lady was in the Abboud’s house, and she was waiting for Poppy to buy her a dress. The bible in Jerusalem says that when a family member moves to a country where their relatives are (whether he/she knows that relative or not) they have to buy a dress for them. This was shocking to me. Then I thought; people would waste a lot of money if this was really true in Jerusalem.



Title: Habibi

Author: Naomi Shihab Nye

Genre: Fiction

Comments:

The 50 pages that I read this week were about Liyana getting used to Jerusalem and her school, and meeting new friends. When I was reading the letter Rafick wrote about Liyana, I realized who she really is, and what kind of person she is. Liyana Abboud is very caring, respectful, unusual, and smart. For example, when her mom and Liyana went to a chicken store, she was observing how the farmers were catching chickens and how they killed them. When she saw them chop the head off the chicken, she became a vegetarian and never ate meat again. She couldn’t stand seeing a living animal die by just one person killing it for money. This shocked me too, I was very sad, and I knew how she felt.
Then she found some new friends; Khaled and Nadin where she met on the street, chasing a chicken. After that, she went to an interesting store, where she found an amazing- looking green lamp. She just had to buy it. However, she looked at the price and couldn’t read it because it was in Arabic. She found her way to find out what it was by asking a very handsome boy named Omar (He liked when people call him Or, because it was shorter). My first thought about this was: “Wow, Liyana found a new friend, this is a great opportunity for her to make more and more friends.” But when Liyana started falling in love with Or, -which I found out by the descriptions of how she describes him- everything changed. A new start is about to begin, and I can’t wait to find out next week!




Title: Habibi

Author: Naomi Shihab Nye

Genre: Fiction

Comments:

This week’s reading was incredible. I found every single chapter interesting- maybe because it was all about Liyana getting closer and closer with Omar. I predict that he will be her future boyfriend and I hope so, because the book described so many amazing adventures they had together, and it would just be a pitty if they didn’t get into a relationship. The most romantic part of the book so far was when Omar invited Liyana to drink yogurt (something that both of them liked the most) in a coffee bar. Since the bar didn’t display good songs,  he decided to go to a different, bigger place. He showed her the biggest Museum in town, where all kinds of archaeological digs and ancient skulls can be found. I would have loved to be in her place. I mean, imagine seeing all that stuff in real life! However, going to this museum was a bad idea, because Liyana had promised her mom she would stay in the coffee bar with Omar. Once they got back, her mom was waiting impatiently for them to arrive. In Liyana’s place, I wouldn’t have gone to the museum- even if I would miss seeing the most amazing artifacts and mosaics.



Title: Habibi

Author: Naomi Shihab Nye

Genre: Fiction

Comments:

Even though everybody else likes being close to the end of the book, I wasn’t.  I was very upset, because this gratifying book was coming to an end. Reading the last 50 pages was most dramatic. Firstly, Poppy gets arrested because he wanted to save Khaled’s life by trying to start a fight with one of the soldiers, because the soldiers injured him- the book didn’t describe why.  Secondly, after this disaster Khaled goes to the hospital for a day to get his leg fixed, since it was injured. Once Liyana found all of these things out when Nadine told her, she quickly goes to jail to find her father in one of the cells. She finds out that he will return home by 11:00 PM, and she was relieved by the time he had come. When everything was back to normal, the family needed to visit Sitti in the village for a day, so Liyana figured it would be a great idea to invite Khaled, Nadine and Omar, along with her brother Rafick. I’m not going to talk about all the details that happened in the village, because I would have to start a whole story if I did.  They stayed there for a day and returned home. The next day, The Abbouds and Liyana’s friends decided to go out to dinner to celebrate all the things they went through.  “Memories are wonders, even the bad and the good onces.”

No comments:

Post a Comment