Sunday, October 9, 2011

Title: The Secret Garden
Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Genre: Childrens novel

When Mary Lennox is orphaned, she has to move from London to her mysterious uncle's dreary mansion in the English countryside surrounded by moors. Mary is a very spoiled and unhappy girl when she arrives. She finds that the house is full of secrets and she is forbidden to enter certain parts of the house. During the nights, she hears the sound of crying down one of the long hallways.

Because the house is so big and dark, Mary starts to wander around outside a lot. She meets Dickon, who has the special ability to talk with animals and is one of the servant's son. As Mary gets to know the house and the people in it, she discovers a secret garden that has been abandoned for year. It is locked and surrounded by walls. She and Dickon bring the garden to life.

Through this experience Mary's personality becomes warm and curious and she even helps bring her invalid cousin, Colin, back to life by being his friend and pushing him to think of more things than himself and his poor health.

I thought that the Secret Garden is a good book. It is interesting to read something that takes place at a different time and place. Although I liked it, I recommend this book to younger girls (like 10 or 11 years old) who like an adventure and characters with strong personalities. It makes me want to go to England.

1 comment:

  1. I think I saw the movie but I am not sure... I recognize the story line. :)

    ReplyDelete