Sunday, October 23, 2011

ORR #6 "Milkweed"

Title: Milkweed
Author: Jerry Spinelli
Genre: Historical fiction

In the next 50 pages of the book I  read about how all the Jewish people, including Misha got taken to the ghetto, and were forced to live in very horrible, cruel conditions. When I read about the ghetto, it seemed really horrible to me. All the conditions were awful, and everyone living there was sad and depressed. Honestly, if I were living during that time, I would never be able to live there, and I don't understand how it was possible for Nazis to treat the Jewish people the way they did. In the book, it says that the people who lived in the ghetto were forced to stand out in freezing weather for hours, without any food or drink, and if they fell or got sick, they would be severely beaten by the Nazis.
Another part of the book that I found quite interesting and quite horrifying at the same time was the fact that despite the Nazi soldiers, there were also policemen in the ghetto, who were always beating Misha and the other boys in his group when they tried to take some food, or some water. The most surprising thing to me though, was the fact that the policemen were Jewish and that they didn't care about the fact that they were beating and torturing their own people. While I read this passage, it seemed to me as during World War II, there were no sides, and everbody just fought for themselves, and their own survival.
While he is in the ghetto, Misha becomes close with a girl called Janina, whose family basically adopts him, and decides to take care of him. I felt quite sorry for Janina's family, because for one moment, it seemed as though they had everything, and then the next everything was gone. Her father was a well-known pharmacist, and her mother stayed at home taking care of her, but when her family gets taken to the ghetto, her father is forced to work a lot, out of Warsaw, and her mother has to start working for a Nazi uniform-making factory. That is, until her mother falls very ill, and her father has to stay at the ghetto to take care of her. However, despite all the horrible things that have happened, I found it really sweet that Janina's family gave Misha a Jewish arm-bend, and in other words, making him a Jew, and part of their family.
At this point I am really anticipating on what could happen next, as all the descriptions of the ghetto, and all the dreadful situations are leading to me believe that something quite big could happen in the next few chapters.

No comments:

Post a Comment