Sunday, October 16, 2011

Kapitoil

Title: Kapitoil
Author: Teddy Wayne
Genre: Fiction

     This week I decided to go completely mad and read an overlooked book. That is, one that has not sold well but is extremely good. In my search for this overlooked book I came across Kapitoil, the story of America through the eyes of a foreigner. Shortly before the 9/11 attacks, Karim Issar arrives from the Middle East in New York to make his fortune. A math whiz, Karim quickly finds a job as a film director(?), and begins to write his journal(this book). At the end of every chapter, to remind himself English, he puts down 4 vocabulary words which soon enough become extremely significant to the story. And so the novel unfolds...
     I really enjoyed Kapitoil. It was probably because it was a humorous change from my usual serious style. Karim Issar is probably the funniest character in a book I have ever read of. It's especially funny as you follow him trying to read and write English(the journal is far from grammatically correct)! If I could give the book a fair rating I'd probably say 17/20. This book is definitely for those who like comedies and parodies of certain people or places.

No comments:

Post a Comment