Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Story of a Shipwrecked Sailor

Title: The Story of a Shipwrecked Sailor
Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Pages: 106

This weeks I read a new book and finished it. My sister recommended this book to me and I decided that I would read it and I finished it. The book was only 106 pages but I think it was well written. The name of the book was " The Story of a Shipwrecked Sailor" bu Gabriel Garcia Marquez. A quote from the book was "On February 22 we were told that we would be returning to Colombia." It seemed like it had a mystery in it so I read it.
 In 1955 eight crew members in Caldas, a Colombian destroyer, were swept overboard. A character Velasco survived alone, drifting on a raft for ten days without food or water. The author Gabriel Garcia Marquez tells the survivor's amazing tale of endurance, from his loneliness and thirst to his determination to survive.
This story was really inspiring for me because it showed that a person shouldn't give up no matter what happens. You should always try the best you can. This book called " The Story of a Shipwrecked Sailor" was Marquez's first major work, published in a Colombian newspaper, El Espectador, in 1955 and then in book from in 1970.

Comments for this book by newspapers:

"The story of Velasco on his raft, his battle with sharks over a succulent fish, his hallucinations, his hallucinations, his capture of a seagull which he was unable to eat, his subsequent droll rescue, has all the grip of archetypal myth. Reads like an epic."
INDEPENDENT


"A master storyteller."
DAILY MAIL


"Garcia Marquez is a retailer of wonders."
SUNDAY TIMES









No comments:

Post a Comment