Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Maze Runner



Title: The Maze Runner

Author: James Dashner

Genre: Horror Fiction

Pages: 384

Comments: 

This week I've been reading a very different book from what I usually read. Ever since I was a child, I loved to watch horror movies, horror TV series and horror cartoons- but I've never actually READ a horror novel! It seems to me that horror novels are way more intriguing than movies- because they use specific examples and engaging words. The novel "The Maze Runner" starts when Thomas wakes up in a very dark elevator. He remembers nothing but his first name. Not his age. Not his family. Not his life. When the elevator comes to a stop, he is insulted by a group of teenage boys who speak quite often using many unfamiliar slang words. Thomas is called a greenie, and treated with no respect.The boys live in the Glade, a place surrounded by stone walls and bordered on one side by a huge maze. For two years, runners have been trying to figure out the maze every day, hoping to find a solution before night. Because at night, the stone walls close the maze off to the rest of the Glade, protecting the boys from creatures called Grievers. I found this novel quite mind-blowing! There are a lot of horrifying moments, but at the same time they are very unusual. The Grievers, in my opinion, are very disgusting- the way they use slang words is just inappropriate and rude- but Dashner's idea of the situation is extremely CREATIVE!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds really interesting! I love reading horror books and this one sounds really good, i will defiantly have to check it out! :D I like your opinions of the book too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having read Maze Runner myself, you have a lot of plot flaws in your summary. The Grievers do not use slang, but simply try to sting their victims. Thomas did not wake up in an elevator, but a box. However, your summary was good and you seem to be enjoying the book, I would however recommend actually understanding it.

    ReplyDelete