Sunday, April 8, 2012

Muhammad Ali: through the champs eyes

This week I began reading Muhammad Alis autobiography. The beginning of this book talks about Muhammad Alis life, growing up for Ali was tough,his father painted billboards, and his mother was a stay at home mom. The book also talks about the first encounter Ali had with boxing, which was when a thief tried stealing his bicycle, but a cop stopped it, when the cop asked Ali what he was going to do, he replied I was going to whip him, to which the cop said you better learn how to box first. Ali was 12 at the time.

In Alis amateur career, he was very successful and he had 100 wins and 5 loses. He was a champion and had many golden glove titles, he even won the olympics, but threw his medal in the water after workers in a diner refused to serve him because he was African American.

I chose to read this book because Ali is not only an outstanding boxer, but really worked to stop racism and was an idol to many including myself. He helped get children off the streets and into sports. I also intend to portray Ali for living history so this book was great for me. In many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment