Tuesday, April 10, 2012

ORR - Graceling

Title: Graceling
Author: Kristin Cashore
Genre: Fiction

      From what the author gives, Graceling takes place in this Middle Ages era. It tells the story of a young, girl named Katniss who is graced. To be graced, or a graceling, means that this person has a certain talent that can range from very skillful, such as being able to fight very well, to not so useful such as being able to bake very well. Yet there is one very telling sign of someone that has a grace. Their eyes are two different colours. At the beginning of the book Katsa is completing a mission to get the Grandfather of the princes of Lienid back, after he has been kidnapped. While on this mission, Katsa meets a stranger named Po, later she finds out that he is actually one of the princes from Lienid. She also discovers that he is a very skilled fighter as well, and they end up training together. Yet Katsa is upset because her uncle, King Randa, is using her grace to his advantage using, making her a weapon and an object of fear. Meanwhile, Katsa and Po are trying to figure out why Po's grandfather was kidnapped. Finally, Katsa defies her uncle and leaves the kingdom with Po to go solve the mystery of what is happening to the kingdoms. As the books goes on Katsa will learn more about herself, and how she can use her grace as something to help instead of harm.
     A friend of mine actually lent me this book, and even thought I wasn't so sure if I would like it in the beginning, I had definitely changed my mind by the end. Graceling is probably one of my favorite books. I like how there is a strong female character, and I think that is what makes the book quite appealing along with the interesting storyline I would recommend this book to people who enjoyed, The Hunger Games. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked it Maria! :) :) :) I'm glad that you liked it, because when I lived in Japan and gave books I liked to my friend there, she always hated them and made me feel bad. I really enjoyed this book too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book but i haven't read it yet. It sounds really good :) maybe itsa new book for me to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete