Sunday, January 27, 2013

Treasure Island

"Sixteen men on the dead man's chest Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!"
Title: Treasure Island
Author: Robert Louis Stevenson    
Pages: 187
I have started reading this book, but haven't finished yet. My father and I are reading it together, or we're discussing it as I read. So far, I have been introduced to some characters, such as the main character, Jim Hawkins. He lived and worked in an inn, where his father was very sick. His life changed the day a very strange pirate came along.
The pirate's name was Billy Bones, however he wanted to be referred to as 'captain'. He paid Jim to keep an eye out on some pirate that he was scared of. However, there was another man, also a pirate, called Black Dog, who was obviously a threat to Billy. Jim so far has no idea why Billy is scared of the man with the wooden leg, or Black Dog. He didn't know either what the man's history was, however he knew it was horrid, because all he wanted to do was drink it away, even though the doctor made strict rules that he wasn't supposed to. It was rum that made the pirate fierce, and drinking too much was a big risk for him. If Jim's parents had known what kind of trouble this pirate would've been, they would have never let him stay in their inn. For all they knew, Billy was hiding something dangerous, and Jimmy was under great risk of getting in the middle of it. 
I have a feeling that half of the time the book has a bit of humour in it, while the other, there are some parts which are more serious, such as fighting scenes. I'm enjoying this book, especially when the pirate sing, 'yo ho ho and bottle of rum.'
I like Jim Hawkins because he seems so innocent. He works in an inn where he serves people drinks, and he obviously knows right from wrong. Nevertheless he obeys the 'captain.' I am not really sure that he reminds of anyone. This book is Jim Hawkins retelling the adventure he had with the pirates.

5 comments:

  1. I have heard so much about this book from so many of my friends. I would really want to read even if I think thst if I read it it would be in french because the English version would probably be to complicated for me. Also another reason I would like to read this book is because it is about pirate and that some of my ancestors were pirates and that I would love learning more bout them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book and I am not ashamed to say it is my favorite book. It is amazing. Full of adventure and pirates. A combo which is good, at least for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this the book that the boys in the Lord of the Flies are talking about? If it is then it must be pretty interesting.... Have fun reading it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helene: I didn't know your ancestors were pirates! t's surprising how you know a lot about them...
    Stefan: I don't see any reason to be ashamed of liking this book the best, it's really good. It's adventurous, and many people like it. It was my dad's favourite book when he was younger.
    Despina: Lol Despina, yes this book was mentioned in Lord of the Flies, however it is nothing like that book. Lord of the Flies is talking about a group of boys stranded on an island, but these are pirates searching for treasure. Poor boys, they had no idea that the situation they were in after the plain crashed wasn't about treasure hunts and things like that...even though there are quite a lot of fights in Treasure Island, and killing, it's natural for pirates to do them, we imagine them like that, fierce with a skull on their flag. Lord of the Rings on the other hand makes it even more surprising when there is killing between boys that are not much older than you or me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. goodness gracious I meant Lord of the Flies, not Lord of the Rings...that's what happens when you don't re-read your text. :-P

    ReplyDelete