Saturday, January 12, 2013

Book: The Catcher in the Rye
Author: J.D. Salinger
Pages:277

     Holden Caulfield is a 17-year-old guy from New York, who studies at Pencey... actually studied. His whole curriculum consisted of 5 classes, of which he failed 4 except for English. The story starts in a very inspiring way, it is like an "autobiography" but then turns into a story. From my reading I got to know a bit of Holden's life, schools he has been too, his history teacher Mr.Spencer, his roommate, problems etc. Holden's brother is an author, his favorite author, the part I found most amusing about the first 4 chapters was how he described that he did enjoy reading mystery and war books, however preferred some book that would cheer you up. A book that you would want to cal the author to hang out or chat. It seems to me that Holden doesn't have quite a social life, he doesn't watch most of the football games, studies badly and for now the story hasn't mentioned girls except for one that he has a picture with from New York. His parents don't yet know he has been expelled, but they will find out soon. My dad says the story is about Holden spending 2 days in New York and all this crazy stuff happening to him, I haven't gotten to that part yet, but I can't wait!



When we were first asked to find a person to read this book with, I tough I would ask my mum, she said there was no way she would read a whole book, so I asked my dad and he was very excited. He immediately searched up books he would like to read, and together we chose a book. I am now reading The Cather in the Rye, and he is reading it in Italian on his ipad. As I was interviewing my dad he told me reading changed his life because when he didn't have practice or nobody to hang out with, reading would be life a friend or a second world. Both his favorite novels he told me, The Clown and Elective Affinities, are books I never heard of but they don't sound bad, they both made him realize different things. He also said that what he loves about reading is that he can compare different cultures, ways of thinking and sometimes different universes. After all the interview went well and now we are starting to read the book :)

3 comments:

  1. in the book the main character sounds bad...The interview with you parents sounded pretty successful..I am glad that they were enthusiastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad said I should read this book. Have fun reading it with your dad! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. all the characters are so unique and interesting. I hope you enjoy your book.

    ReplyDelete