Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Hobbit

Author: J. R. R. Tolken
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 50/305

I chose to read, The Hobbit with my mother and sister. I chose my mom because she would find this project fun. Once my sister heard about the project she thought that it sounded like fun so she wanted to do it too. From my sisters interview, I read what I had already known. Annie loves books, they are a whole part of her life. I think it is interesting how much reading has changed Annie's life, it made her smarter, happier, and more interesting. My mom does not love books as much as my sister but she still likes a good book. What I found interesting in my mom's interview was that when she was a child she liked the Judy Bloom novels, which I also started to love. My mom, sister and I have the same starting reactions of The Hobbit. We all think that the way Tolken describes the setting is so realistic for example, when he described the hobbit hole, "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole, with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort" (Tolken Page 1). He really describes the hobbit hole well without saying what was in it, but what wasn't. I also think that the book is funny too like when they have dwarves singing songs or when elves first enter the story.

3 comments:

  1. I love this book! There are so many magical creatures there, my favourite character is Gandalf. Believe me, you will love this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never read this book, although I imagine it would be quite action-packed after seeing the new movie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have watched this movie and I think it's very nice. I don't know if the book is the same but I wanted to read it but then I decided not to because it would be ver long since my mom reads slowly. Good job!

    ReplyDelete