Monday, January 21, 2013

Quarter 3 Dracula Post # 1


Dracula
by Bram Stoker
Pages: 448
Genre: Classic, Mystery


For this quarter's book reports, we had to read a classic novel with a family member or a friend that is older than us. We have to read a classic novel together and have group discussion. For my book report, I decided to select my mother.  I picked her because she is an avid reader. She loves reading books, anywhere from action to classic novels. She had never read Dracula before, and my mother and I thought that it was an excellent choice for our classic novel as we both enjoy mystery. Throughout my interview with my mother, I noticed several things that were interesting about her. The most interesting thing was what she enjoys most about reading. She enjoys learning new concepts and perspectives while reading interesting novels and/or non-fiction books. She expressed many things about literature throughout her interview. For example, her favorite novel is "There are no Children here" She enjoyed this book because it changed her view on social and political issues.  She also said that she has always wanted me to read a novel by the famous author, Ernest Hemingway. She wants me to read one of his novels because he always pours all his personal knowledge and love into the protagonist. But, I decided not to because I was very interested in reading Dracula after hearing excellent reviews about the book.

Quotation-

"I bent over him, searching for any sign of life."

This is an excerpt from the main characters journal. The main perspective of Dracula is from the journal that the main character, Johnathan Harker, a British businessmen who is visiting the mysterious town of Transylvania. This quote is after Johnathan Harker was imprisoned in Dracula's mansion. He crept out of his room during the day and found the hibernating Count Dracula, who was sleeping in a coffin.

My Mother's Interview:

What do you love most about reading?

She enjoys learning new concepts and new perspectives 

How has reading changed your life?

It has empowered her to learn on my own, rather than rely on others. 

If you had to choose, which novel is your all-time favorite and why?

Her favorite novel is little women because it is a good glimpse of what life was like 150 years ago 

Knowing me as you do, which novel have you always wanted me to read and why?

Any of Ernest Hemingway's novels because he pours his knowledge and love into the protagonist.

4 comments:

  1. It's really nice how you wrote about the whole interview and how it went, but maybe you should change the colors of the questions from the interview so it's easier to see. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your book sounds really interesting Tyler! I always loved watching and reading Dracula movies/books and this one sounds interesting. The way you describe the book is really cool and I wanna read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wrote so much it seems so good. I Love Vampires and want to read that book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think is amazing that your reading Dracula because it really is memorable and classic

    ReplyDelete