Friday, January 25, 2013


The Idiot
Fyodor Dostojevski
Pages: 700
Classic

My mom and I have chosen to read “The Idiot”, written in the 19th century by Fyodor Dostojevski, who is one of the greatest Russian writers of all time.
Since this book is a bit hard to understand at my age, we decided to make a step forward together, to make an effort, to get out of my comfort zone, and to read more complex literature. Besides that, it has a very interesting characters, setting and plot.
 The main protagonist of the book is the prince Myshkin, whose life is thrown into love triangle with beautiful Nastasya Filipovna, and Rogozhin, a friend he met in a train while going back from Switzerland to St. Petersburg. Prince Myshkin is a synonym for a “purity of a truly beautiful soul”, that was drawn into a web of blackmail, betrayal and murder.
On my side, I am very pleased with this choice, since for the first time I have encounter with something new, and I have a feeling that I am reading a book for adults. The setting is very complex, with a lot of different character, who are in a weird way connected to each other.
My mom is happy that I like and enjoy the book, since she was reading it for the first time at my age on her own, and it was difficult then for her to understand many aspects of the book. A while later, when she read it again, already mature, she had a proper understanding of it. She thinks this project is a great idea since it gives us an opportunity to have fun and enjoy together in this remarkable book.

6 comments:

  1. Really cool. nice that your taking a risk in leterature

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds pretty cool, I don't think I ever read a book written by a russian. Just check the spelling :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought you would get our of your comfort zone and read something hard, especially because its about love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really interesting. I like that you are getting out of your comfort zone, and it's cool that you are trying something new. I also like how you described why your mum likes this project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a nice novel to read. Also im surprised that you would rad something liek thus, good job for reading something that you normally wouldnt. ALso its good that you are reading a challenigng novel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job Obren for reading out of your comfort zone, that taks some courage. As for the book, it sounds really interesting and I think it's something you will enjoy.

    ReplyDelete