Thursday, January 24, 2013

To Kill A Mockingbird

To Kill A Mockingbird
Author: Harper Lee
Genre: Historical Fiction
Number of Pages: 376







For our second blog post this was the questions that I had to answer: Why did you and your partner choose this novel? In the first pages, are you both pleased with the selection?

As the answer to the first question my mum had said to me, "I had seen the movie years ago and always believed it would be a good book to read which would have a lot more detail, and I wasn't disappointed."And as for me, well to tell the truth I was the one to pick this book because it was just something I have always thought about reading, so I thought here is my chance to read it. And my mum was happy to read the book with me since as she said before that she was always interested in reading the book.

As the answer to the second question my mum said, "The first few pages introduces a family and town depicted through the eyes of Scout who tell's this story set in America's south during the 1930's. I liked the idea of the story being told by a child, in particular Scout, who tells it as she sees it, simple and honest. Both my mum and I agreed a lot about the first few pages of the book. First we did agree that the first 2 pages are a little boring but its just something where you just have to preserver, because it was a good book. But we also agreed that we liked the fact that the story is told from a child's point of view. For me i quite enjoy that because I feel as if I can relate with Scout since I am a child too. My mum and I are both very happy to read and enjoy this book together.

My mum and I have already finished the book but as I make my blog posts I still want to go through each chapter of the book. So in this blog post I shall tell about Chapter 2. As the summer had come to an end Dill left in early September. Scout was a little miserable to see him leave but it occurred to her that next week she would be starting school. As Jem was in 5th grade and she was only in first, he told her the rules that she was to stick to her own grade and not to go talk to him or embarrass him. "You mean we can't play any more?" I asked. "We'll do like we always do at home," he said, "but you'll see- school's different" (Lee 21). Before the morning was even over Scout had already gotten patted on the plan of her hands with a ruler in front of the whole classroom, and made her stand in a corner. Miss Caroline was her teacher, no more than twenty one. A nice young women, with aubrun hair and pink cheeks. The only thing about Miss Caroline is that, when she wrote the alphabet on the board she asked Scout to pronouce the letters, of course she said the beautifully and Miss Caroline told her that Scout's father was not to teach her anymore. But the thing is that Atticus had not taught her to read at all, nobody had. But Miss Caroline did not believe her. Really the way Scout knew how to write was because, on rainy days Calpurnia would write the alphabet out and get Scout to copy a chapter out of the bible.

Before lunch Miss Caroline asks the class who is going home for lunch, the town children raised their hands then she asked for people who brought their lunch to put it out on their desks. As she made sure to check everyone had lunch she stopped at Walter Cunningham's and asked where his lunch was. Miss  Carloine keeps asking him, "Have you forgotten yours?" finally Walter replied, "Yeb'm". Miss Caroline them goes to her desk and takes out her purse, "Here's a quarter," she said to Walter. "Go eat down town today. You can pay me back tomorrow." But Walter shakes his head and says no ma'am. But he keeps asking him to come get it. On Walter's behalf Scout stands and tells Miss Caroline as her thoughts were,

 ' I thought I had made things sufficiently clear. It was clear enough to the rest of us: Walter Cunningham was sitting their lying his head off. He didn't forget his lunch, he didn't have any. He had none today nor would he have any tomorrow or the next day. He had probably never seen three quarters together at the same time in his life.

I tried again: " Walter's one of the Cunninghams, Miss Caroline."(Lee 26).

The Cunninghams never take anything because they can't pay it back. The get along with what they have, and they don't have much. Scout next then said to her, "You're shamin' him, Miss Caroline. Walter hasn't got a quarter at home to bring you, you can't use any stove wood."(Lee 28).

As from what Scout had just said to Miss Caroline, she then took her by the collar to the front of the room and gave her a dozen pats on her hands, then made her stand in the corner of the room. The class roared with laughter.

This chapter was really interesting to me because it really shows how everyone knows about everybody else. How everyone in the class knows that Walter is a Cunningham. I really enjoyed this chapter, and I recommend this book to people who just want to read an interesting classic. 

2 comments:

  1. As I also read about the Cunningham, I think he is a really interesting character and the characters in this book are really appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the character Scout, its weird how she is kind of a tomboy but wants to grow up and be a woman. I liked your post it was very detailed.

    ReplyDelete