Saturday, January 19, 2013

A Christmas Carol

Title: A Christmas Carol
Author: Charles Dickens

Genre: Classic

Total Number Of pages: 219

Pages Read: 86

" 'Without their visits,' said the Ghost 'you cannot hope to shun the part I tread. Expect the first one to-morrow, when the bell tolls one". (Page 55-56) This is what Marley's ghost says to Scrooge while he was explaining about the ghosts that he should expect.

This book is about an old man called Ebenezer Scrooge and how the death of his best friend, Jacob Marley, changed his life. He became more greedy, didn't enjoy life and didn't want anyone to keep him company. He just wanted to be alone. But this wasn't possible. During a winter night, Marley's ghost comes and visits Scrooge and tell his that 3 other ghosts are going to visit him the following next two nights. The first day went fast and at the same night, the ghost of Christmas Past visits Scrooge and takes him to his past, his childhood and at the time when you had dreams. As they passed on top of his old school, his old neighborhood and his old house something unbelievable happened. Scrooge laughed for the first time after Marley's death, and he actually looked like he was enjoining it. 

Blog #1: Discuss and describe your interview. Whom did you select and why? What did your chosen person express about the reading and literature? What was interesting to you about the interview? I am reading the book A Christmas Carol with my mom and I chose her because she likes reading and she really loved the movie. During our interview, i found out many things that I didn't know about her and what she likes to read. My mom really likes the book, but she thinks it's kind of hard for her, since she is not that good at English so we decided to do this book so she could also improve her English. 


Interview:


1What do you love most about reading?    I love reading because, I see different or common kinds of lives, people and sometimes it’s like I am travelling in another time zone.
2How has reading changed your life? It made me open my horizons, not feeling lonely and sometimes it gives another meaning of life
3If you had to choose, which novel is your all-time favorie and why?  My favorite novel is called Angels can fly and it is a Greek book that I really enjoyed reading because the scenario was overwhelming and the characters reminded me of people in my life.
4If you had to choose, which book has had the most important influence on your life and why? The book that influenced my life the most was The Secret, which talks about the secret of life and how to enjoy what you have and always think positive. It changed my life because I followed that path and I suddenly changed into another person
5Knowing me as you do, which novel have you always wanted me to read?  The book that I would like you to read is You taught me everything but you forgot one word which is a book about a girl that tried very hard and with all her passion to achieve what she wanted. Although she had many obstacles on her way and lived a bad childhood she got over them with the guidance of her teacher from middle school. 


I really enjoy reading this book. Even though it has hard vocabulary, it is very catchy and you want to keep reading. It is a really nice book and I would rate it as thumps up! :)


5 comments:

  1. I love this story. I saw many movies based on this story but I never read the book. I would like to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never read this book but I have always wanted to. I think the book is a bit spooky for a Christmas story, which makes it so unique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never read this story either, only a simplified version. Charles Dickens really can turn nice things to terrible. Christmas for example. On Christmas there are Santa Clauses and Snowmen and other pretty little things, but certainly no ghosts on chains (or witches or anything spooky). The whole point of this story I know, is to be nice to people, I remember when I was younger, I was freaked out by the movie! Ghosts on doorknobs...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read this book, but I have heard of it and I think it is one of the more popular classics. I have seen the Christmas Carol movie, but I bet it's different from the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you described this book and it makes me want to read it. I love that you made the format easier for reading. I also find it very interesting that we're both reading a book by Charles Dickens and that we're both doing the book report with our moms. All in all I really love your description about the book!

    ReplyDelete