Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Dissapeared

Author: Jonas Jonasson
Genre: Historical Fiction
Pages Read: 64
Pages In Book: 392

This is an amazingly strange book so far. First of all, a fit, one hundred year old man, climbs out of his window, twenty minutes before his birthday party, even the mayor will be there. The book is set in Sweden, and often goes back in time, although this has only happened to me once so far. The man, named Allan is very unusual, but I suppose we will find out that later. What I have learned so far about his early life is that he lived in Russia. His father died when he was an adolescent because he didn't give up a small patch of land to the government  he was shot. His mother died some time later of old age. The only other thing that I know about the rest of his life so far is that he started up a dynamite company, and while testing out a new kind he accidentally blew up a man who drove his new car onto his testing site, it was describe vividly with little bits going everywhere. He was sent to an asylum but freed after a few years. Anyway, back to the present. Alan steals a suitcase that a man, who turns out to be from a criminal organization called Never Again, owned while he was taking a dump. He then gets on a bus and goes as far as his money can take him. At the stop a man ownes the station, he is called Jonas and invites Allan to stay with him for the night. While they are eating their dinner, the man from the criminal group turns up, he is called Jonas and he is angry. But Allan sneaks up behind him and conks him out with a wooden floorboard. They finish their dinner, with Jonas at their feet, unconscious. After they have had a drink they decide to put him in the freezer room, where the meat is usually kept. Now they decide to open up the suitcase, and find 50 million inside. The next day, they are both sober and realize that the freezer fan was left on. Jonas was in there and it was below zero. When they open the door they find his corpse hunched in the corner, staring vacantly into the distance. This is a rather shocking way of finishing a book, but I will admit, it made me want to read more.

4 comments:

  1. This book seems so strange and kind of grows I'm not sure I would like to continue reading if I was you but I do admire you for wanting to read more. PS: You should probably put a quote and write the number of pages in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds fantastic. I think the old man is a great character. I like it when authors give a background to the character even though his background is so tragic. This book sounds very exciting because of the criminals. The old man seems very in fit for being so old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds nice and the title really caught my interest. Just FYI you forgot to put your questions from your partner ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The questions are on my other blog, which is for my classic, this is my 50 pages a week.

      Delete