Friday, January 25, 2013

Pride and Prejudice 2

Pride and Prejudice
Jane Austen
13 of 360 pages
Classic Novel

Quote from the book: “It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.” This is the first line of the book, and it is basically also is what the first three chapters are all about: men, who own a lot of money and land, can only want one more thing, which is a wife, and most women would say yes to marrying a rich man, as long as he has the most necessary of behaviors.

What happened until now: Mrs. Bennet finds out that a rich, young man is moving into a house close to her own, and immediately thinks about how she can get him to marry one of her five beautiful, young daughters. She talks to her husband Mr. Bennet about it, who is not that enthusiastic, although he is still willing to visit the young fellow and invite him for dinner.         
In return, the whole Bennet family gets invited to Mr. Bingley’s ball, and he immediately grows fond of Jane, the oldest of the Bennet sisters. Lizzy, short for Elizabeth, who is the second oldest, is not so lucky, although she listens to a quick conversation between Mr. Bingley and Mr. Darcy, an even richer man, who no one likes though, because he has such bad manners and is so fond of himself. Mr. Bingley mentions Lizzy as one of the most beautiful girls at the ball, and asks Mr. Darcy why he wouldn’t ask her to dance, which he just brushes off with a simple “she’s handsome, but not good enough for me” answer.

This book so far is very interesting, and the style of writing is different, but not as hard to read as I thought it would be. I really enjoyed reading these few pages, and it wasn’t confusing at all, like some books at the beginning; I understood nearly everything that happened.

Blog Question #2: We chose this novel, because it seemed interesting, and it has to do quite a bit with women marrying men against their will, and my mum really enjoys reading book that are about women’s right, or something similar to that. I really enjoyed the first few pages, as I said before, they were really easy to understand and read, but it was still interesting and exciting. My mum, who doesn’t know English too well, said that she also enjoyed the first pages, and that they weren’t too hard to understand for her, either. The first pages already gave me an idea of what I can do for the final book report project, and I chose to do the Dinner Party.

2 comments:

  1. Hey mira this is a nice blog post and I like how you have an image from teh movie. I also have the same quote hahah. Im glad you like the novel so far and yes I agree sometimes it is a little bit diffuicult

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Both of you are reading the same book...it must be really good! I like the quote very much.

    ReplyDelete