Sunday, January 20, 2013

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Author: Mark Twain
Genre: Classic
Pages: 274

The story takes place in Mississippi Valley. In the beginning of the book Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, which is a white boy, finds the money some robbers hid in a cave. They found 12,000 dollars and got 6,000 each. Judge Thatcher took the money and invested them and got $1 each every day. Huck was taken care of by Widow Douglas and her sister Miss Watson. They tried to give him good manners, and he learned to read and write. Tom wanted Huck to be member of his Robberband, Tom Sawyer's gang. Everybody who was joining had to take an oath and write his name in blood. If anybody told about their gang, a boy was ordered to kill him and his family. Huck joined then for a month and then resigned. All boys did, and they did not rob anything. Huckleberry had a very drunk and abusive father. He wanted to get hold of Huck's $6,000 but Judge Thatcher would not let him. Huck's dad beat him up, and locked him in their old cabin. It suddenly succeeded Huck to escape the cabin, when his dad left the door unlocked because he was too drunk. Huck went up the river, where he found a canoe and paddled it ashore. Later on his dad came for him with his gun. Huck was hiding in the shade of the bank. Huck was hiding for three days. Suddenly Huck runs into Jim, Miss Watson's Jim, a black boy, who was also escaping. Huck was happy to meet Jim. Now he wasn't alone anymore, but Jim would not tell why he ran off. They both went up the river in Huck's canoe. They stopped for dinner and after that they looked around found a little house. There was nobody, it seemed like everybody left in a hurry, but then they found a man who was dead, he was shot in the back.

Blog #1: Discuss and describe your interview. Whom did you select and why? What did your chosen person express about reading and literature? What was interesting to you about the interview? I'm reading with my mom and we chose to read Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, we chose this book because it seemed interesting and my mom have read already read the book before,but that was many years ago. I found how many known books my mom have actually read and she pretty much knew every single one we saw.

1) What do you love most about reading?   It is relaxing and it is always nice to learnsomething new or to enter a different world.
2) How has reading changed your life?   You get a lot of knowledge and if you read in other languages than your mother tongue you learn the other language very well.
3) If you had to choose, which novel is your all-time favorite and why?   Floden af rødjord (River of red soild) by Natasha Illum Berg. It is about Natasha who is a big game hunter in Kenya. The life in Africa is fascinating.
4) If you had to choose, which book has had the most important influence on your life and why?   The book about Nelson Mandela. It is amazing to see how far a man can go by believing in himself and what you believe is right for your people.
5) Knowing me as you do, which novel have you always wanted me to read and why?   Lord of the Flies by William Golding. It is an adventure, but also at the same time a story that could be a parallel to real life.

4 comments:

  1. This book sounds really good. I have heard of it many times and now that I know what it is really about I want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this book because I loove books that are adventurous and I love Tom Sawyer, which I guess is similar to this. I really like your interpretation and that is what made me want to read this one. I also find it interesting that in your interview your momk wanted you to read Lord of the Flies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the book. It is one of my favorites. I find it interesting that the book that your buddy wants you to read is lord of the flies because we are doing it in school right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you'll have fun reading it because its a great adventure book but just a little hard

    ReplyDelete