Sunday, January 29, 2012

Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice
Jane Austen
Classic
I have been reading this book with my mom. Well I am reading it and I am discussing the book with my mom. She is not reading it because she recently read it. I choose her to read the book with because she is the only person who does not have work or homework that is older than me here in Serbia. I could have chosen one of my grandparents and Skyped with them while discussing the book but it would be difficult to find a time because  they live on the other side of the world. That is what led me to choose my mom to read the book with. My mom got out all of our classic books and gave them to me. I read the backs of all of them to see which one was the most interesting. I choose Pride and Prejudice and it just so happened that my mom had recently read that book with her book club, so my mom does not have to reread the book. Now on to what in the book I read.
Miss Bennet, the eldest of the Bennet daughters is Jane and is soon to probably be enganged and then married with Mr. Bingly. The second eldest, Elizabeth, is attracted to Mr. Darcy and he to her. I just know that Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy are meant for each other even thought Mr. Darcy was not that interested in her at first. And of course Jane and Mr. Bingly will be married. The reason why Mr. and Mrs. Bennet want to marry their daughters as soon and as fast as possible is that after Mr. Bennet dies the property goes to the nearest relative, who is normally the son, but the Bennet's don't have a son. The nearest relative after that is Mr. Collins. He is invited to come and visit the Bennet's family. When he is given a tour around the house all he could think about was how much nice stuff he would get after Mr. Bennet died. He also thought of taking one of their daughters into marriage. And as tradition the eldest daughters gets married off first. He asks Mrs. Bennet about their eldest daughter Jane. She said that she was going to soon be engaged and then married, except she said it in a different way that is harder to completely understand. He then set his eyes of the second eldest, Elizabeth. Now as I said before I think that Elizabeth is already taken by Mr. Darcy it just has not been known yet. I hope that it is know before anything to serious happens or else it won't be a happy ending. After it does get know if it hopefully does Mr. Collins will get the third eldest daughter Mary. Now back to Mr Collins being the person to get the residence after Mr. Bennet dies. I thought that he seemed like a nice enough person to keep the Bennet daughters until they are married and so why was it such a huge rush to marry off the girls. I was confused by this, but my mom told me that if he does not end up married a Bennet girl and goes for someone else that wife might not like the idea of having strangers living in the house. It is better safe then sorry so marry them off sooner than later.
The book is very hard to understand but it is very enjoying.

1 comment:

  1. This book sounds very awesome, and interesting. A lot of marriages. When does it take place?

    ReplyDelete