Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Brothers Karamazov

Title: The Brothers Karamazov
Author: Fyodor Dostoevsky
Genre: Satire, Mystery

     So I recently finished The Brothers Karamazov and as I recall in my last blog post I wrote that the book was quite happy and joyful and funny. Well the tone darkened as the book went on. The father of the three sons was murdered, and Dmitri went on trial for it and went to prison for the blame. Alyosha the youngest son fails to believe this, and one day whilst talking to Ivan, he finds out that Smerdyakov, a servant killed his father. Out of grief Smerdyakov killed himself, and Ivan ran away. The book ends with the line: "Hurrah for Karamazov." Now I find that to be quite satirical as two of the Karamazov brothers are in jail or disappeared and only one of them is truly celebrated as a monk.
     So I chose to read the book with my mum as she said I should read some foreign literature. These Russian authors are also quite close to her as living in Yugoslavia, she never experienced western literature until she was 18. Dostoevsky is also her favourite author and she remembers everything he wrote, so I thought well why not read an epic Russian novel. And this was the one I found.

1 comment:

  1. Jude that seams to be a really cool book, now i feel like reading it. But unfortunately i have a lot to read...

    ReplyDelete