Saturday, September 3, 2011

HABIBI

Title: HabibiAuthor: Naomi Shihab Nye
Genre: Fiction

Comments:

I have been highly animated reading the first 50 pages of this book. So far, it has been one of the best books I've read in ages! To start off, my favorite part of the book that got me engaged into reading it was when I heard that the main character, Liyana, was moving to Jerusalem, the place where her father was born, even if she absolutely hated moving to a different country. This part of the book also astonished me because of the fact that she actually accepted moving to a new country, even though she had stunning friends in St. Louis, Missouri.

Thus far, everything in this book was great to read, except for an over-reacting scene when they were at the airport. I didn't like when the police officers over-checked them, much more than they checked others, just because her father was a Muslim. I think they felt like they were guilty for something.

I wasn't quite aware of her father's time immemorial, but when I've read the letter she wrote to her past teacher, I thought to myself 'A-Ha', and everything was much easier to read. The letter was about how her father lived in his childhood; and how difficult it was for him. It was basically explaining the history of Jerusalem. But once the Jews received their own country, Palestine lost theirs. So Poppy's mom, Sitti, decided to move to a small village up north, because it was too dangerous continuing to live in Jerusalem. Weeks later, they returned to Jerusalem, and they found their house occupied by soldiers. To this extent, they moved to live in the United States, and that's where he met Liyana's mother. After giving birth to Liyana, the family moved to Jerusalem, and the family was visiting their relatives.

An interesting quote I found in this book was: "I vote for the cat sitting in the sun." This statement doesn't really relate to the chapter, but it has taught me that courage is the key to everything, even if you have to do something very arduous.



  

1 comment: