Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - JRR Tolkien - Blog Post #2 - Jared Rogerson

I have continued reading the book The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring by JRR Tolkien and I am enjoying it a lot. Since my last post, I have read from page 103 to 153, which totals 50 pages.

In my last blog post I ended with Frodo and his pals entering a mushroom farm on the outer part of the Shire. As I read this week, a bunch of dogs come out and start chasing them, until there owner (who is a hobbit named Maggot) recognizes them and calls back his dogs. They go into Maggot's house and talk about why Frodo and his friends are out, and Maggot tells them something very interesting. What Maggot told them was that not long before they showed up, one of the Black Riders (that I mentioned in the last blog post) showed up and demanded to see Baggins. Maggot told this strange person that he had not seen Baggins, and that his dogs would attack the Black Rider if he did not leave at once. The Black Rider said that Frodo would be on his way, but left anyways. This concerns Frodo, and he decides that they need to leave as soon as possible.

After a nice dinner with Maggot and his family, Maggot drives them to the Bridge to cross out of the Shire, when someone comes up behind them. After a tense moment, they find out that it is Merry Brandybuck and then Maggot goes back to his farm. They cross the river and arrive at Frodo's new house. Frodo doesn't know how to break the news to them that he has to leave, but he finds out that they all new everything already, and had been watching him and eavesdropping and new everything about the Ring and the quest that Frodo did. This surprised Frodo a bit, but overall he was happy that he didn't have to say goodbye.

The next morning they get ready to leave, and they decide that the fastest route is through the Forest. This forest has many "queer" tales, and is very dangerous. They decide that it is the best way to get to Rivendell and not be followed, so they start on through. Right from the beginning the Forest seems to be fighting them, and later in the day the Forest casts a spell on them that makes them all really sleepy. They all fall asleep, and Pippin gets captured by a tree while Sam is the only one still a bit awake. As they are calling for help, a stranger arrives and sings Pippin out of the tree. This hobbit calls himself Tom, and he is quite a weird person. He takes them back to his home and they eat a drink and talk. The next day there is a lot of rain so they don't go any further, and listen to Tom's stories. This is where the part that I read ends.

In my opinion, I think Tom is actually evil and is trying to do something bad to them. The reason why I think this is because he sings so much, and is very jumpy and hinting that he might be insane or something. I am not totally sure, but that is what I think about Tom. So far, I am enjoying this book because of the details and the action, but it is quite a long book and the language is fairly old and different then we talk now.

The passage that I have chosen takes place when Pippin has been trapped by the tree, and they call for help. The reason why I choose this section is because it explains the Forest, and how weird and eerie it really is.

'Do you know sam?,' he said at length. ' the beastly tree threw him in!, I felt it!, The big root just twisted around and tripped me in!'. ' You were dreaming I expect Mr. Frodo, you shouldn't sit in such a place if you feel sleepy.'




No comments:

Post a Comment