Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Outside Reading- Blog Post #1- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring- Class 8B- Jared Rogerson

The book I am reading as my Outside Reading Book is The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, by J.R.R Tolkien. This book is definitely a fantasy book because it takes place in a nonexistent place with creatures that don't exist in real life. This week, I have read to page 103 out of 458.

This book starts out with a long explanation that really describes the history and the setting in the book. It tells of Bilbo's adventures in the Hobbit, and gives an introduction to The Lord of the Rings world, a bit of history, and a little bit of information about each of the races like the elves, hobbits, dwarves and orcs. The first main happening in this book is Bilbo Bagginse's eleventy-first (111th) birthday. This age is special to hobbits, and it is the day the Bilbo decides to disappear using the Ring that makes him invisible.

Now for a bit of background about this ring. This ring is the One Ring that was made by a powerful evil wizard named Sauron. He made this ring that can turn the wearer invisible, and it "escaped" from him. Although this ring is useful, it also messes with the owners mind. Bilbo got a hold of this ring in The Hobbit, from a creature named Gollum. Gollum was a creature that is connected with hobbits that had the ring and went mad from it. That is a little bit of background about the ring.

Now back to the plot; Bilbo disappears at this birthday party in front of all of Hobbiton, and he gets ready to leave The Shire (where the hobbits live). After he disappears, he goes back into his house, and Gandalf (a wizard that went with Bilbo on his adventures) tells him that he should give up the ring. Bilbo has trouble giving it back because the ring has gotten a hold on his mind, but eventually he gives sets it in the house to give to his nephew, Frodo, for him to keep. After the party, Frodo comes back to the house and finds the ring and Gandalf tells him to be careful with it.

Fast forward a bit and Gandalf comes to visit Frodo. He tells Frodo that he has found out what the ring does and tells him all of the facts and history and the story of Gollum. Then Gandalf leaves, promising that he will come back before Frodo leaves to try and destroy the ring. After another year has past, Gandalf hasn't showed up but Frodo desides that he needs to leave anyways. He sets of with his friends Sam Gamgee and Pippin to go to a place called Buckwood. On the way, they are chased by the "Black Riders" which are basically evil humans. They narrowly miss them a few times, and eventually find a group of Elves who let them stay with them for a night, and one of the elves tells Frodo about the Black Riders.

The next day, the Elves are gone and the three hobbits continue on their journey to the little town called Buckwood. That day, they have another almost run in with the Black Riders, and they decide to stop using the trail and go through the forest instead. The last part that I read was when they trespass into someones farm.

So far I am enjoying this book a lot, and so far I understand what I am reading. One thing that I really like about this book is the amount of detail that the author writes, so that I actually feel like I am inside the book with the characters.


Here is what I think is an important passage so far in what I have read: (Page 35)

"Bilbo flushed, and there was an angry light in his eyes. His kindly face grew hard. "why not?" he cried. 'And what business is it of yours, anyway, to know what I do with my own things? It is my own. I found it. It came to me.' ' Yes,yes' said Gandalf. But there is no need to get angry.' 'If I am it is your fault,' said BIlbo. 'It is mine, I tell you, My own. My precious. Yes, my precious.

This quote from the book is happening when Gandalf tells Bilbo to give up the ring, and it shows that the ring has gotten a hold and Bilbo's mind and has started to take a bit of control over him. Also, it is a very important part in the story because it helps Gandalf to know what the ring actually does to people.

That is what I have read this week, and that ends my first blog post.



1 comment:

  1. The Book seems very interesting, you should see the movie when you are done with the book.

    ReplyDelete