Sunday, September 29, 2013

Mockingjay: Blog #2

1) Title: Mockingjay
Author: Suzanne Collins
Genre: Dystopic Fiction
Number of pages: 64/390

2) Since Wednesday, I only read about 15 pages, so not much have happened, but Katniss agreed to be the Mockingjay (the symbol of the rebellion against the Capitol) on several conditions. She demands that Peeta is kept alive, that he gets to hunt with Gale, to let Prim keep the cat, and that she be the one to kill President Snow if they win the war. I learned that Katniss is very stubborn and she usually gets what she wants, and she doesn't give up very easily. Now that Katniss has agreed to becoming the Mockingjay, the real war can begin, and the rebels can start planning their attack on the Capitol.

3) I expected Katniss to agree to becoming the Mockingjay the whole time, so it didn't surprise me when she did. I also knew that she was going to get what she wanted. I was surprised, however, when I found out that Cinna had been alive the whole time and designing her outfits. So i figured he had wanted her to be the Mockingjay, along with all the other rebels and Gale. Honestly, I have no idea what will happen next, so I am excited to find out and maybe come up with some questions about the book. So far, the book is exciting and there is plenty of action, so i don't get bored, but that also means I have to pay more attention, otherwise I am likely to miss something.

4) Passage: "'They don't know what Katniss?' he says. 'That tributes -- who are the actual children involved here, not your trio of freaks -- are forced to fight to the death? That you were going into that arena for people's amusement? Was that a big secret in the Capitol?'" (54). This passage makes me as a reader feel sad and it is unthinkable in my mind, that people can make children fight to the death for others' amusement. It just does not exist in my mind. This reveals that these people are living in dystopia and the rebellion is their only way out of their misery.



1 comment:

  1. I liked your blog post, Olivia. The book seems very interesting. Nice job !

    ReplyDelete